• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How high could I OC the 4790k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AFKAllDay

So I have a 4790k currently stable at 4.6GHz and I'm getting a Corsair H110 tomorrow to replace my hyper 212+. I'm using 1.250v on it so I have a couple questions.

1.) Is 4.8 a safe overclock (if so, should i go any higher?)
2.) Should I need more than 1.250v to get it up to 4.8GHz(If so, what's the max i shouldn't go past on the h110)

thanks in advance for any answers

-Dom

I would say as long as your Temps under load are under 85c you are fine to push a little farther. 4.8 or 5.0 or 6.0ghz doesn't make it an unsafe overclock, it's the voltage needed to get there that matters.

You've got a decent chip to run 4.6ghz with 1.25v. I have to use 1.3v to run 4.7Ghz 24/7 rock steady stable. You won't see any noticeable gains from 4.6 to 4.8, but if you can get there just using 1.25v, then by all means go for it! Just be sure to check for stability using AIDA stress. You want to keep your temps below 90c as 100c is it's max. As for voltage I would'nt go pass 1.35v for 24/7.

You've got a decent chip to run 4.6ghz with 1.25v. I have to use 1.3v to run 4.7Ghz 24/7 rock steady stable. You won't see any noticeable gains from 4.6 to 4.8, but if you can get there just using 1.25v, then by all means go for it! Just be sure to check for stability using AIDA stress. You want to keep your temps below 90c as 100c is it's max. As for voltage I would'nt go pass 1.35v for 24/7.

I use prime95 for a stresser. the max ive seen 4.6 on this using air cooling was 78°C for a small time. but now on water i think ill be good

AIO cooler like a Corsair H110 should do better than the 212. Be advised as the Haswell's Devil's Canyon chips are heaters once you start stressing them, so you'll be pushing the H110's cooling capacity to it's limit. For every day usage and some gaming, the H110 should suffice.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back