• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIOS on Acer motherboard E415SM 1.0 locked for o'clocking, any workaround?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dag

Recently I pulled my old Acer Aspire E560 out from the heap of junk in my attic and decided to see what I could do with it.

I replaced the anemic Pentium D 915 CPU with an Intel Core 2 duo e6400, put in a Geforce 9800GTX+ (way OTT together with the intel Core 2 duo, I know, but it was a leftover from an other project), 2 x 2GB kingston RAM, and a random 550 W PSU I had lying around.
Finalized it with a fresh windows 7 64bit install......and.....it moves! At least a lot more than before :D Benchmark scores from Novabench shows a total score of 561 for the system after upgrade versus 229 before. (The 2 x 2Gb RAM modules were in on the pre-upgrade test as well)

Now it was time to squeeze some extra juice out of it, hence I checked in at overclockers.com

However, to my understanding....now, the BIOS, AMI R01-B1 04/02/2007 does not allow for overclocking. This is the most recent BIOS version I could find on Acer support.
Now my questions.

1 Is there a way to overclock that does not rely on a cooperative BIOS?
2 Would there be any way that I could "unlock" the BIOS?
3 The BIOS, and then of course WIN 7, does not see any more than 3 out of 4Gb RAM. CPU-Z detects all 4Gb. I have tried to clear CMOS, switch around the RAM modules, all to no avail. Any Ideas on what to do to make all 4 Gb visible and available?

1. Programs like clockgen/setfsb may work. You need to find the PLL number for your board
2. Highly doubtful, no.
3. Memory mapping option in the bios should do it.

1. Programs like clockgen/setfsb may work. You need to find the PLL number for your board
Thank you. It's worth a try.
2 OK. Saves me for wasting more time on that.
3 Seems like I am SOL on that too.....My BIOS does not have any Memory mapping option. Is it possible that the feature can be found under a different name, or is it only one term on memory mapping?

Back