• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair H110 (280mm) in a m-atx Fractal Node 804

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ninjacore

I've recently begun to really like small form factor builds. Not so tiny, that the majority of component options are eliminated; just small enough to make it a little more of a challenge to get quality stuff in there while still looking tidy :)

I had already put together my wife's latest build in a Corsair 240 and liked it a lot, but wanted to try something new. I also love Fractal cases, so I decided on the Node 804. I originally was going to go with an air cooler as I find (and have seen in many reviews) that high-end air options are significantly more quiet than their closed-loop liquid cooler counterparts. I decided against an air cooler for a couple reasons:

1) I couldn't find one I liked the looks of which would give me the cooling capacity I wanted while also fitting in my case. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE, Noctua NH-D15, Thermalright True Spirit Power, and Cryorig R1 Ultimate were all on my short list. I kinda wanted a "dark"-looking tower if I was going to put one in, so that narrowed it down to the Phanteks or Cryorig. The heights of those two are listed at 171 and 168, respectively, and the Node 804 has a listed max supported CPU cooler height of 160mm. These factors, more or less, eliminated all of my top picks for an air cooler.

2) I also wanted this build to look "clean" and putting a massive, tower-style cooler inside the chassis of a small case, kinda makes things look crowded. My compromise would have been a "dark" cooler cooler, which I thought might not look so gigantic, but those were too tall*.

3) I do want a quiet system, but that includes the GPU. I knew I'd be overclocking my 970, so I also figured the less hot air in the case, the cooler my card would stay and the slower the fans would have to spin. An air cooler in the "main" chamber of a cube case will dump decidedly more heat in there than a CLLC radiator housed in the "rear" chamber.

* As I mentioned, the listed max supported height for a CPU cooler in the Node 804 case was 160mm. I happened to have a Noctua NH-D15 when my Node 804 arrived, so just for fun, I put it in the case. To my surprise, the cooler, spec'd at a height of 165mm (with fans), actually fit with a mm or so to spare. Again, however, it just took up too much room for my tastes.

Picture of NH-D15 in the Node 804 (I wouldn't believe me either ;))
d15_node804.JPG

So all that led me to the many AIO options. One of the reasons I went for the Node 804 was its support for 280mm radiators, so I limited my options to just those. I found a great deal on a very lightly used H110, and it looked to be up there with the other options in performance, so that made my decision relatively easy.

TL;DR Last night I got the H110 installed successfully. It was, on the whole, a fairly easy task. All tubes and cables reached where they needed to. Plenty of room in the rear chamber of the Node 804 to fit the 140mm fans and 280mm radiator. The only hiccup came when I was ready to mount the fans/radiator to the top of the case.

The screw holes available on the Node 804 on the top of the case for 140mm are laid out like this (not to scale and this "diagram" looks terrible if you're reading this on a phone ;)):

o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o-----20mm-----o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o
|
|
|
|
|
|
o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o-----20mm-----o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o

They designed it with the assumption of 20mm of space between the screws of each fan.

The screw holes in the H110 don't quite line up:

o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o---15mm---o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o
|
|
|
|
|
|
o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o---15mm---o---------------------------140mm---------------------------o

Corsair assumes that the screw holes in the case will be 15mm apart.

All four holes for one of the fans line up perfectly and, honestly, if you only used 4 screws, it would probably be secure enough. I decided it didn't seem like too big of a deal to just drill 4 more holes, though. Measured a few times first ;) and didn't have any issues.

Ideally, I would have liked to see "elongated" screw holes in the top of the Node 804. That would give you the ability to slide your fans toward the rear or front into the desired position and also would avoid "incompatibility" issues like this one.

The only other issue I'd like to note is the tube length. As you'll see in the pictures below, the tubes are definitely long enough on the H110 to reach from the rear chamber of the Node 804 (or, likely, any dual-chamber case), but it is a bit tighter than I'd prefer. It's just one of the tubes which is "stretched" and even it has some wiggle room. It's not as tight against the RAM modules as it appears and i could easily remove the RAM without taking off the waterblock/pump.

Performance is great. I haven't tested it too thoroughly, but even with a very lazy TIM application, temps on my 4690K (stock) during a small-FFT P95 run were below 60c (max 59). It idled (browser use) between ambient and 27c. From a quick Google search, this seems on par with others' results. It is also very quiet. Not as quiet as high-end air coolers, but not nearly as loud as I had guessed. From reviews, I was thinking it'd be almost twice as loud as high end air. I would say it's maybe 50% more loud and quite far from being obnoxious. It also stays quiet during system startup. The H80i in my wife's PC ramps up to full blast during boot (I can't find a way to disable that - will have to keep playing) and I was worried the H110 would do the same. I was happy when it only ramped about about 25% higher than it "settled" at.

I'm very happy with the end result :D

topangle.JPG

top.JPG

rad.JPG

pump.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice rig and thanks for sharing your story. There's usually a standard for the hole points but surprised this one was missed, assuming all 280mm AIOs have the same amount of 15mm spacing.

Thanks! Yea, I thought it might just be that it's made to fit Fractal's AIO cooler, but they don't make a 280, just a 240 and 360. Maybe I'll forward them a link to the thread :)

Last edited:
Thanks! Yea, I thought it might just be that it's made to fit Fractal's AIO cooler, but they don't make a 280, just a 240 and 360. Maybe I'll forward a link to the thread :)

Funny thing is, they are being trolled by Acetek. You know the patent troll of the AIO market. They aren't allowed to sell that 360 AFAIK in the states.

That's too bad. I've come to really like Fractal products (their cases, primarily) and their customer service is easily the best I've ever dealt with (e.g. Was putting a build together recently in a Define R4 and found I was missing the fan controller and front audio cables. Emailed Fractal CS, and asked where I could buy a new set. They responded immediately saying they'd send out everything I was missing. Just needed the S/N from the case. No proof of purchase, bla bla bla. Pretty crazy and definitely unexpected.).

I looked into their coolers, but finding the H110 basically new for $75 made it an easy decision. Plus, I really wanted to max out the rad space in the Node 804 :)

Last edited:
how you liking the h110. have one in a fractal midi r2. not really sure what to think yet

Haven't tested it too much yet. Normal tasks, pc is dead silent though (on the floor next to me). Briefly gamed and the fans didn't seem to ramp up much at all.

I'm liking it a lot so far :)

I wonder if it's all those additional connectors on the i series? The H110 just has the two PWM fans and the 3 pin pump header. I'll have to look at how the H80i is hooked up and compare.

The additional connectors that come with all the "i" series coolers, H80i/H100i, are meant to work with Corsair Link and a whole assortment of other products that are in the "i" product line. Maybe the profile of the link is setup at performance? That would ramp them up aggressively.

I admittedly haven't played with it much yet, but I did some searching on how to resolve the boot ramp up issue a few weeks back and found some posts on the Corsair forums indicating it was part of a "self-test" and couldn't be disabled.

Still need to play with it some more to make sure, though . :)

I changed the fasn to the cougar pwm jobs and they are quieter, but still can get a bit "not quiet"
I have a corsair 250d case with asrock z97e-itx board, 8gb corsair vengance pro 2400 ram and the msi gtx970. am really suprised at how quiet it is on the whole. I have always used high speed fans to keep things cool and never thought of making a quiet box till this kinda "spoke up, wihtout speaking up"
I had an evga psu on there to start and it was louder than the coolermaster v850 so I swapped them out

Took my PC to a little "LAN party" at a friend's last night. Loved how easy it was to cart around! :)

Also couldn't believe how silent it stayed. I played without headphones and couldn't even hear it!

It was sitting right at my feet and on carpet, no less, so the two intake fans I have on the bottom below the GPU probably weren't working as efficiently as possible. I'm very happy with this build :D

Back