• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MCP355 vs MCP35x minimum sound levels and top compatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

I've been chasing a quiet idle recently and found that my old (purchased in 2009) MCP355 is a moderately significant source of idle noise. It's somewhat decoupled from the chassis, but the pump has been running so long I wonder if it's better just to upgrade.

Is the MCP35x significantly quieter at idle? I would guess that with PWM control it is, but I just want to be sure.

Are MCP355 tops compatible with the 35x? I have the XSPC res-top. If I could just swap out the pump that'd be sort of ideal since I wouldn't need to change much in the loop, but if it's not compatible, it's not.

Jeremy

Last edited:
I've chasing a quiet idle recently and found that my old (purchased in 2009) MCP355 is a moderately significant source of idle noise. It's somewhat decoupled from the chassis, but the pump has been running so long I wonder if it's better just to upgrade.

Is the MCP35x significantly quieter at idle? I would guess that with PWM control it is, but I just want to be sure.

Are MCP355 tops compatible with the 35x? I have the XSPC res-top. If I could just swap out the pump that'd be sort of ideal since I wouldn't need to change much in the loop, but if it's not compatible, it's not.

Jeremy

Jeremy, long time no hear. :salute:

As for your pump, the tops are compatible AFAIK. I will also say that there is a more affordable pump out now with a tad more head pressure called the MCP50x. It's not a Laing pump but Swiftechs own design from the bottom, up. I've heard some good things about it but not much. Just seen some videos by Gabb from Swiftech show off the pump against the MCP-35x.

From the Martinsliquidlab link AJ posted this quote seems to ring home for me.

Martins says - said:
In general, all of these pumps are extremely silent pumps when decoupled. Most general users with fans over 1000 RPM would typically have a hard time hearing these pumps at all in a normal fan noise masking environment. Critical noise folks using ultra slow speed fans should put extra emphasis into pump decoupling methods and undervolting or reducing pump speeds.

I have the MCP-35X on my bencher and it's fully decoupled. I have it connected to a 12v Molex so it runs flat out. It's not terribly loud but I also have a bunch of 40db high speed Yate Loons to help drown out the noise. Eventually this pump will end up in a dedicated gaming rig and I'll utilize the pwm feature and bring the noise level down.

Back when I decided to go silent water, I hooked up my MCP 355 to a fan rheostat and was able to turn down the speed, it helps marginally on the noise. The 35x just has built in pwm control. I used my 355 for ~7 years, and now had the D5's for 3 years.

To drown out the mcp 355 at lower speed, required 1000 rpm fans (sound of air). To drown out dual D5's on setting 3.5, requires 700 rpm fans. And my pumps are completely decoupled on a stand, and the stand decoupled with soggy sandwhich of petra gel.

My next build was going to have a 50x or 35x, so I'm interested in what people say as well.

rge, are you running the D5 at 3.5 in your signature setup? My D5 has a good bit of whine that my Gentle Typhoons don't drown out, so I was thinking of turning it down and it looks like our setup is similar. Mine is set at max though.

Back when I decided to go silent water, I hooked up my MCP 355 to a fan rheostat and was able to turn down the speed, it helps marginally on the noise. The 35x just has built in pwm control. I used my 355 for ~7 years, and now had the D5's for 3 years.

Interesting, so the D5 is easier to drown out at low speeds? I have my 355 connected to my AQ5. My minimum (idle) voltage is 7V. I can reduce the voltage to about 5V but the pump speed doesn't change below 7V for some reason. Power draw (amperage) goes up as the volts dip below 7V and pump speed stays constant until it stalls out. It seems to need ~2.3 watts of power to stay running. That turns into an impeller speed of 2000 rpm +/- 100 at idle.

Based on reading, I think I should look at decoupling it better before I go changing parts.

My next build was going to have a 50x or 35x, so I'm interested in what people say as well.

rge, are you running the D5 at 3.5 in your signature setup? My D5 has a good bit of whine that my Gentle Typhoons don't drown out, so I was thinking of turning it down and it looks like our setup is similar. Mine is set at max though.
Bug the D5 at 3 is pretty quiet, at night when it's really quiet in my house I can still barely hear the pair of them that I run.

yep, Im running 2 D5's in serial in my current setup in sig.

I just kept my fan speed at 700 rpms, and played with different configurations and decoupling methods. With my 2 D5's with aftermarket metal tops (the ones martin listed as quieter), at max speed they were audible above 700 rpm fans, but just turned them down til no longer audible above the air noise from 700 rpm, which was about 3.5. The mcp355 I could not get any quieter than about 1000 rpm fan speed.

I believe the D5s were always quieter than the DDC's by a bit if I recall correctly.

Back