• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finalizing build specs.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
90 days should be plenty to discern whether or not it's going to fail, especially since it will be used every day for at least 4 hours.

That's about as true as "Politicians have the little guy's concerns at heart".
The warranty is designed, studied, carefully, in a way so as to ensure that the MTBF is juuuust past the warranty period. They have determined that most refurbs that fail do so after 90 days, and that most new models that fail do so after about 1 year, or 3 years, or 5 years, or whatever the warranty is. Then you have ASUS who can say whatever they want, but the warranty ends up covering nothing, because they tell everyone "Oh! That's your fault. Not fixing it. Sorry."

Seriously, avoid refurbs on most personal electronics. There are some things in life that you can buy refurbished. Others, I wouldn't trust. If you can get a refurb with a full term warranty, sure, take it. With caution and a grain of salt, I mean. If it's a 90 day warranty refurb, avoid it like the black plague. No "great deal" is worth being out of warranty after 90 days. What good is a monitor that dies after 100 days once it dies?

No refurb monitors, no refurb hard drives. Unless you get a full warranty on the former. With hard drives, just avoid refurbs no matter what.

How often do refurbs carry a full warranty though? IME it's usually 90 days on refurb.

Never said it was common, just that I wouldn't worry about buying a refurb if it still has the full warranty.

Why not on monitors? I've bought refurb TVs (4 or 5 of them, the 50" Emerson that sits in my living room for one), and they all still work. It's Samsung, so I figured it's probably ok. Besides, it's already paid for.

Let's just hope the refurb gods are on your side. No sense talking about it any more if it is already payed for. I'd suggest you steer clear of anything refurb that doesn't carry the full mfg. warranty in future though if I were you. JM2C..

Let's just hope the refurb gods are on your side. No sense talking about it any more if it is already payed for. I'd suggest you steer clear of anything refurb that doesn't carry the full mfg. warranty in future though if I were you. JM2C..

Noted, and thanks.

And I do completely agree with HDDs, lots of moving parts and potential issues. I had a few HDDs picked out that were at or below $50, but then I noticed the refurb tag, and searched again. I did get one refurbed WD Black a few of years ago, when prices for drives skyrocketed due to flooding in Asia or whatever. Absolutely needed a drive for a build that I sold to a buddy. I figured that if it failed, I would just replace it. His only uses for the system was Youtube and D&D Online, so it's not like he would have lost anything vital should it have failed. Still going strong though.

Noted, and thanks.

And I do completely agree with HDDs, lots of moving parts and potential issues. I had a few HDDs picked out that were at or below $50, but then I noticed the refurb tag, and searched again. I did get one refurbed WD Black a few of years ago, when prices for drives skyrocketed due to flooding in Asia or whatever. Absolutely needed a drive for a build that I sold to a buddy. I figured that if it failed, I would just replace it. His only uses for the system was Youtube and D&D Online, so it's not like he would have lost anything vital should it have failed. Still going strong though.

I bought a "used" Xbox off a guy a few years ago and he gave it to me with a refurb hard drive but it was such a great deal that I just gave him the money anyways. Thing worked from 2009 when I got it until 2012 when I gave it away to an autistic kid who's family couldn't afford one.

Back