• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Building A New INTEL Rig, Build Now Or Wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

Since DDR4 RAM is out but not cheap I was looking into the current lines of INTEL CPU's that's out now but does INTEL have any new CPU's coming out this year to wait for so I get the best bang for my sterling (Pound) the 2600K is and has been a fantastic CPU since I upgraded and crossed over from the green (AMD) I've never looked back. But I'd like to use this complete set-up below as a 2nd gaming rig and build a new one for the end of the year.

Thoughts?

I'd say it depends for you, Intel will be releasing Skylake (socket 1151) architecture later this year:
http://wccftech.com/intel-desktop-c...15-broadwell-kseries-q1-2015-skylake-mid2015/

So just depends on how soon you want to make the upgrade. Likely Skylake will be a lot cheaper than Haswell-E. But who knows what the CPU core count and everything will be with Skylake (if the high end will continue to be ~$3-400 and be 4c/8t, etc)

I would OC that 2600K to about 4.5 at least while you decide what you want to do, because as you said its still a good solid CPU! Most of the later CPU's are running with more heat than your present one so cooling is going to be a higher priority than at this time. :salute:

P.S. Maybe a 10 year Badge would not go a miss for the OP as well! Admin please take note! :attn: ;)

Regards,

Ajay.

I would OC that 2600K to about 4.5 at least while you decide what you want to do, because as you said its still a good solid CPU! Most of the later CPU's are running with more heat than your present one so cooling is going to be a higher priority than at this time. :salute:

P.S. Maybe a 10 year Badge would not go a miss for the OP as well! Admin please take note! :attn: ;)

Regards,

Ajay.

They're running with less heat (TDP). They're just running at higher temperatures due to inferior thermal interface material between the die and the IHS.

Back