• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Chipset Driver Install Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thank you RGone for that information. I'll have to give that a try, although I am a gamer and the certain drivers could potentially cause issues, although I could be fine. If worse comes to worse I'll just buy a new motherboard, graphics card, and CPU, even though I just bought everything new a year ago. I would hate to spend that sort of money if I have to, but if none of the advice given in this thread works when I try later today then I may have no choice. Thanks again!

Hello. I'm still highly considering just purchasing a new motherboard and CPU that use Intel hardware. What are your guy's preferences for motherboard/CPU combinations for a mid to high level gaming PC?

NOTE: I would like to have enough cores and/or threads to process at levels similar to the CPU that I previously mentioned I had. I would also like the motherboard to be able to perfectly support a specific CPU to ensure that no problems would occur and no overheating would occur as well. Thanks!

If you want/need 8 threads then it's the 4790k and an asrock z97 extreme 4

Yep, A good air cooler. The 4790's tend to run pretty hot on average.

What would you recommend then to allow average use to stay at a decently low temperature? Otherwise, would there be another i7 CPU that you would recommend that maybe runs at like 3.4Ghz without overclocking?

Not sure why you would want to get out of the...

...the ability to overclock but here is a cpu that is stock around 3.4GHz as you asked about.

i5-4590 4 core NO hyper-threading. Multiplier not unlocked for overclocking.
Default speed 3.3GHz and Turbo up to 3.7GHz. TDP = 84W.

Intel® Core™ i5-4590 Processor
(6M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz)

RGone...

Thank you RGone, and not necessarily lose the ability to overclock, but rather have a CPU that is stock under 4 Ghz as you've found, but possibly even an i7. I'm about to take a look at the i5 you've found for me now, and I thank you for finding what you've found!

Literally I am not sure why you would not...

...not want all the cpu speed you could get for the money you have to spend? But it really is to each his own. If I only needed 4 cores then myself I would go for an unlocked version of the i5 processor with only 4 cores and no hyperthreading since hyperthreading can add a good beat of heat to be dealt with. But honestly, heat is almost nothing to me since I have dealt with the idea of heat for years. I buy a cooler with c00ling in mind and go from there. Again it is to each his own.

Without going off the deep end, just a sort of primer on some of the Intel Haswell lineup.

Haswell Core i3 vs. i5 vs. i7 - Which is right for you?

Thank you again! I guess I didn't want to overclock do to having to deal with cooling, but if I were to get the most for my money what would you consider I get to help with after market cooling?

If you get a K version of the I5/I7 it doesn't mean you have to overclock it. I always recommend if one has the funds to afford a K version to get one. At least down the road when it's getting a little long in the tooth you have the ability then, to go get yourself a decent aftermarket heatsink and OC it. So my point is get a K version, if you can afford it, keep it on the stock cooler for now and if you feel the need you have the ability to OC it in the future.

If you get a K version of the I5/I7 it doesn't mean you have to overclock it. I always recommend if one has the funds to afford a K version to get one. At least down the road when it's getting a little long in the tooth you have the ability then, to go get yourself a decent aftermarket heatsink and OC it. So my point is get a K version, if you can afford it, keep it on the stock cooler for now and if you feel the need you have the ability to OC it in the future.
Good point but also get the Z97 motherboard to support overclocking.

And to add to what Mandrake and Johan said, I doubt overclocking should be instituted on the stock cooler at all. Now you have three major points to lineup as you make purchases and move in configuring a system.

RGone...

Alright everyone, does anyone have a preference for an amazing gaming motherboard or reliable motherboard for Intel i7 processors (Z97) chipset I believe?

Alright everyone, does anyone have a preference for an amazing gaming motherboard or reliable motherboard for Intel i7 processors (Z97) chipset I believe?

I would suggest that before the Intellites come along that you specify a Max Price for mobo and if you do intend to overclock. Do you intend dual or triple video cards and well just what you do really need. Otherwise it gets into a guessing game as to what you want/need.

It can sort of go like this > if you plan to overclock the ram then MSI really need not apply since resident ram guru says that brand almost always falls short. And the foibles can go on and on. Money > required support from mobo such as 2 or 3 card video etc. Then they can really get serious about a decent suggestion. One other thing is "where" do you do your purchasing 95% of the time.

RGone...

Do to some money constraints, I'll probably be sticking with a 1 video card setup, but could go up to to in a year or two. I just want a decent desktop that can play most if not all games on ultra settings, like I previously had with my AMD CPU (everything else the same other than motherboard). I probably will not be overclocking anything, including the RAM, at this time, although I am considering a liquid cooling system. Finally, I do most of my PC part searching on Newegg, although I also buy things from Amazon having gift cards as well as Amazon Prime.

- - - Updated - - -

I see this one recommended all the time based on price/performance http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157503

Thank you for that link, and I will definitely have to take that motherboard into consideration.

Back