• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD Chipset Driver Install Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RogueGamer

Registered
Hello,

Currently, I'm running an AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core processor on a ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 motherboard (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97_LE_R20/HelpDesk_Download/) with a Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 graphics card with 3GB of ram on that card. Recently, I've been trying to play a couple games on my gaming PC, specifically Heroes of the Storm and ArcheAge, but the game would crash in a matter of minutes. This hasn't happened to my roomate at all, and he plays the same games. He recommended to me that I get the chipset drivers for my motherboard updated, or installed if I didn't have them already. I was able to find some drivers on the website previously mentioned above, but after downloading the drivers file I couldn't figure out how to actually install and use the drivers. The files set up Catalyst Installer Manager, which I've read that it's mainly needed for AMD graphics card(s), which I don't have. Also, when I tried to install the drivers it wouldn't even install anything, even though I had over 1GB of files downloaded with possible drivers. Does anyone have any possible fix to this issue, and if so please let me know as my last resort is to ditch my motherboard and CPU and waste another $500+ for an Intel CPU and motherboard. Thanks!

-Rogue Gamer

Which O/S are you using. Really a pain trying to guess what O/S you have as I intended to download the chipset driver and look inside and see what was included. I use Win 7 64 bit and if I ran the Asus installer which is what should come with that file from Asus...it would most likely install next to nothing since Win 7 has most of the chipset stuff already installed. And yes the AMD isntaller manager would be responsible or be installed when you start the setup exe. Same thing basically for Intel and their INF installer that has little to do when used on a late Windows O/S.

RGone...

Those games are both Cpu based games if I am not mistaken.
Can you give us a full breakdown of the Pc. Makes and Models of the parts.
Is it overclocked at all?
Stock cooling?
What are your temps while playing?
What Pc is your roommate running?

Those games are both Cpu based games if I am not mistaken.
Can you give us a full breakdown of the Pc. Makes and Models of the parts.
Is it overclocked at all?
Stock cooling?
What are your temps while playing?
What Pc is your roommate running?

^^This. Need to know some more details. There has been a few debates going around about that board for an 8 core FX. Knowing the rest of your build and some of the temps will help. Also is your roommates PC the same as yours?

First off, most of my parts are listed in the first post here. As for anything else, I'm not running after market cooling at this time, and my PC temps at the time were not out of the ordinary during that time either. By that I mean that there have been other games I've played at similar temperatures and nothing has happened whatsoever. An example game I've played is Guild wars 2 with all ultra settings on, and nothing went wrong. The temperature itself for the GPU was around 155 degrees Fahrenheit, which isn't too bad considering my warning zone is 180+ and danger zone is over or around 195-200 degrees. Also, my CPU and GPU are both not overclocked. Everything is set up as stock.

Not to be the mobo police but this might be the first game you've played that works multiple cores on your 8320. That motherboard you are using isn't really meant to support that CPU. Sure it says it will on the support list but that doesn't always ring true in real life. I don't think it has anything to do with your chipset drivers. Your system is just getting too hot and that board can't take and down it goes.
Try playing any of those games again but have HWMonitor open and running and try to stop the game before you think it's going to crash and then post a screen shot of it here. This might give us some clue.

First off, most of my parts are listed in the first post here. As for anything else, I'm not running after market cooling at this time, and my PC temps at the time were not out of the ordinary during that time either. By that I mean that there have been other games I've played at similar temperatures and nothing has happened whatsoever. An example game I've played is Guild wars 2 with all ultra settings on, and nothing went wrong. The temperature itself for the GPU was around 155 degrees Fahrenheit, which isn't too bad considering my warning zone is 180+ and danger zone is over or around 195-200 degrees. Also, my CPU and GPU are both not overclocked. Everything is set up as stock.

RogueGamer reason I asked the above questions is to try and help you with your issue. Knowing exactly what parts are in the rig helps us help you. I do not see what Psu you are using nor ram, which could be part of the issue. Knowing these things can help us narrow down what could be possible causes of your issues. Additionally Johan makes a good point about the motherboard and seeing a screen shot of Hwmonitor like he mentioned could prove to be beneficial. If you have played other games without issue it's likely not the chipset drivers. It could be the install of the game is Borked. Again knowing exactly what we are dealing with, when trying to help the multiple people we try to help on a daily basis is beneficial to you and us.

Well I definitely would like to thank all of you, and Mandrake I didn't mean my statement to seem as it did, so I do apologize. I only stated that as I thought I listed the main parts and I guess I'm new with the term psu as I thought that was the processor at hand. Within a day or two I should I have a chance to try everything that you both have mentioned, and I'll make sure to post back results as soon as I can! I'm in college and I am extremely busy this week, so hopefully you all understand and don;t mind the day or two wait. Again, I appreciate your guys' help, and thank you again!

Also, if it is the motherboard, what motherboard would you guys recommend?

NOTE: The weird thing is that one of the two games crashed almost immediately, while the other ran for a little while before anything happened.

Even if your CPU and GPU temps are withing range your CPU could be causing the VRMs on that board to heat up. Like Johan says that board isn't ideal for that processor. It lists it as compatible but there have more than a few people that have had issues with the 8 core FX chips on those boards.

Well I definitely would like to thank all of you, and Mandrake I didn't mean my statement to seem as it did, so I do apologize. I only stated that as I thought I listed the main parts and I guess I'm new with the term psu as I thought that was the processor at hand. Within a day or two I should I have a chance to try everything that you both have mentioned, and I'll make sure to post back results as soon as I can! I'm in college and I am extremely busy this week, so hopefully you all understand and don;t mind the day or two wait. Again, I appreciate your guys' help, and thank you again!

Also, if it is the motherboard, what motherboard would you guys recommend?

NOTE: The weird thing is that one of the two games crashed almost immediately, while the other ran for a little while before anything happened.
No apologies necessary, but thanks. A lot of people come here for help and sometimes do not realize that all the components need to be known in order for us to trouble shoot from across the internet.

Looking at this statement is the Pc crashing while playing every game you play, at different times?

The first time it happened, both the game and PC crashed, but the second time while attempting the same game again, the game was the only thing to crash.

Yeah as a matter of fact that's what I thought it was to begin with! On AMD's site though, there weren't any drivers that worked with my Nvidia card and my processor. I've updated my drivers for my graphics card though as I'm constantly doing so when stable updates are released.

Yeah as a matter of fact that's what I thought it was to begin with! On AMD's site though, there weren't any drivers that worked with my Nvidia card and my processor. I've updated my drivers for my graphics card though as I'm constantly doing so when stable updates are released.
Did this start happening after a driver update? Sometimes newer drivers don't work well with older Gpu's.

Well I'm not for sure actually because I had to get another GPU on warranty after my previous one started having weird issues. Once I got the new one I had to do the updates and gave it a try after not having used my PC at that time for about 3 or more months. Also, how much older is my GPU by chance as I didn't know when I bought it?

Also, I've been considering getting a new CPU and motherboard anyways (Intel). What would you guys recommend getting if I were to do this? NOTE: I would like the motherboard to be of great quality, but not necessarily cost a fortune. Also, the CPU I would like to be similar stat wise when compared to my current AMD counterpart.

You Gpu is 3 generations old, depending on how you look at it. That is not saying it's bad it just means from my experience with some of my older generation Gpu's, sometimes the newer drivers cause issues with them. You may want to try an older nvidia driver and see if it helps.

That said if you play mainly Cpu dependent games then you may want to consider going Intel. The Fx Cpu's are a bit lacking in there ability to play Cpu bound games. If the games you play are more Gpu dependent, then I do not see any reason to switch. I play Gpu de[endent games on my Fx 8350 and have no issues what so ever.

To your issues, if changing the drivers do not help the issue. Then we are going to need some screen shots of what is going on inside the rig. My first suspicion is as Johan mentioned, your motherboard. the Vrm section of your board is lacking at best. The Vrm is what supplies the power to the Cpu. These Cpu require a lot of power from this section when under load. You issue may be that the Vrm section is overheating while gaming and causing the crash.

I would start by trying an older driver and see if it helps.

Thank you for your advice, and if you may know, what older drivers do you consider I attempt to use? That would be great if that ended up being the issue, but if not then I can attempt to run some tests on Saturday afternoon/evening or Sunday when I get the chance to. Thank you again for your help by the way!

A number of ways...

...ways to find and use an older video card driver because later drivers made for newer video processors may give problems. I have drivers for my older video cards that work today when the video cards are maybe 4 years old and I do NOT game so not concerned with constant card updates to game.

1. I pull the original driver from the CD that came with the video card that is stated to work with the O/S I have.

2. I go to somewhere like guru3D com and look for drivers by 'date' and closer to the era of my video card and try one of them until I get working satisfaction.

Now that is me and how I get working drivers really of any type. I seldom update drivers until I do a new REinstall of the O/S since...if it works why fix it? Again just me and knowing as I have found over the years that working IS working.

RGone...

Back