• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Computer Parts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lyric

Evening everyone!

I've been a fan of this site for years and have always referred to it for information about hardware and such so I figured I'd post a build I'm working on for a new(er) PC. I'm taking my old PSU and GPU out of the computer I have now as they are relatively new.

Budget wise...I'm sitting shy of $1000 right now with this build and I really don't want to go over that unless I have to. If any of you have suggestions on anything, please, feel free!

Here is what I'm looking at purchasing:

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced
Mobo: Asus Maximum VII Hero
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell
RAM: G.Skill Trident X-Series (16GB) DDR3 2400
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper D92

What I Have:
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB SC ACX Cooler
PSU: Cooler Master i700 -700W

I've looked into the X99 Intel boards but I've found mixed results. Some say it's not worth the added cost to upgrade at the moment, especially with the cost of RAM for those boards. Any opinions on X99 at the moment?

I use this PC a lot for gaming but I also do large works in Photoshop and Lightroom. I'm trying to prep this new computer for GTA when it comes out in March (plus I've noticed my CPU is starting to bottleneck with more of the newer games nowadays. Besides from the GPU and PSU in this computer, this computer is probably around 5-6 years old so I figured it's time for an upgrade.

Last edited:
we really need to know details about the gpu and psu, they have come a long way now.

Caddi,

I edited the post and included that. Hope that helps!

GPU: GeForce GTX 760 2GB SC ACX Cooler
PSU: Cooler Master i700 -700W

Asrock has, over the past 5 years or so, become the go-to bang for your buck mobo. They pack a ton of features typically only found in higher end boards and do so at very competitive prices.

With Haswell chips, it honestly doesn't matter what board you get (for overclocking). Just get the one with the features you want, the best CS, at the price your budget allows.

Money is definitely best spent elsewhere nowadays.

As ninjacore said, they've become a go-to for cutting price back. I benchmark on a Z97 Extreme6, they're VERY solid boards.
Also the GPU is a LOT more powerful: http://anandtech.com/bench/product/1038?vs=1355

You'll have to cut back settings to run GTA V at 1080p with good framerates on a 760.
On the 970 you should be able to max it with no problem.

Thanks guys for all the input. I'm going to put everything together and probably order this some time later this evening!

I would possibly consider going to a $49.99 case and switching the board for an ASRock Extreme 6. You get dual LAN and dual full length M.2, but more importantly, you get a better audio implementation. If you cut down to a $50 case, the price difference to go to the EX 6 will only be $10.

I second Theocnoob's idea.

I have the Extreme6, got a deal and a rebate on it about 6 weeks ago. 10 Sata ports! I needed that. It's about the best audio I've found anywhere. 12 phase power - you just don't have to worry about stability.

There was one puzzle - there's a 4 pin power connector in a really odd spot, for PCIe power - but it's not required unless you use 3 GPU's on the board. If I did need to use it, I'd need about 6 mm more room at the bottom of my case (or cut a hole there).

That's the only negative I can possibly post about the board, an odd power connector you don't need to use.

I had a $60 ASRock running an AMD x2 for 7 years, 24/7 before it quit on me - not a solid cap on that board either.
I had a $80 ASRock with solid caps only in the VRM section, ran that 24/7 for 5 years. It's now my son's CAD / light gaming system.

They only got better over time. Some people knock them, but hey, some people knock ASUS, Gigabyte...and don't get us started on MSI.

Oh....it has DUAL BIOS! Really nice to have that there if you need it.

I second Theocnoob's idea.

I have the Extreme6, got a deal and a rebate on it about 6 weeks ago. 10 Sata ports! I needed that. It's about the best audio I've found anywhere. 12 phase power - you just don't have to worry about stability.

There was one puzzle - there's a 4 pin power connector in a really odd spot, for PCIe power - but it's not required unless you use 3 GPU's on the board. If I did need to use it, I'd need about 6 mm more room at the bottom of my case (or cut a hole there).

That's the only negative I can possibly post about the board, an odd power connector you don't need to use.

I had a $60 ASRock running an AMD x2 for 7 years, 24/7 before it quit on me - not a solid cap on that board either.
I had a $80 ASRock with solid caps only in the VRM section, ran that 24/7 for 5 years. It's now my son's CAD / light gaming system.

They only got better over time. Some people knock them, but hey, some people knock ASUS, Gigabyte...and don't get us started on MSI.

Oh....it has DUAL BIOS! Really nice to have that there if you need it.

Not just dual bios, dual bios with replaceable bios chips. That's quadruple fail safe.

Back