• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU shopping any input?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

heres what I am coming from:

1rqv9r.png

that's 160.95 watts not 16095 of course

somethings up with my system, I have a feeling its the motherboard considering some of whats going on with it but I was considering getting a new CPU with it as well because it may as well be on its way out too and at the same time its getting hotter and hotter, requiring more and more volts to maintain any decent OC. And yes I have changed thermal paste, added more, better cpu fans, still the same result. if you clicky the pic there it will show the rest of the validation for CPUz, notice the ram.
the rated speed of the ram and the actual speed of the ram. it wont go any better, faster than that.

so while I am shopping mobo's I thought I would ask for input on CPUs.
I think at this point I am at a cross roads of going FM2+ or AM3+.
I'm looking to get a higher end ish full ATX or possibly extended ATX mobo with either socket that has 2 full speed simultaneous 16x pci express slots.

it will not be an asus board if that helps with the input

my only requirement is to keep the CPU around $100 as well as it being a Decent OCer with quite a bit of headroom

out of curiosity the FX 8320 and FX 8320E. I imagine the E has more headroom at 95 watts, does it get the same amount done clock per clock? (same efficiency?)

Why would you pass on the sabertooth? Amazing motherboard....

As for the 8370 vs the 8320, no not necessarily. While it may be Binned to operate at lower voltages, that doesn't necessarily mean you will get a higher overall clock. Since you are planning oc anyway, get an 8320 imo.

There's really only 3 boards to consider for the 8 core chips and overclocking

Crosshair formula
Sabertooth
Extreme 9/fatality pro (same board mostly)

Since you "won't go asus", the extreme 9 is probably your most cost effective bet.

All in all, I would go intel anyway. Not much reason to go from thuban to bulldozer.

Last edited:
From a fellow FX owner, I agree that it may be time to jump over to Intel, unless there is some unexplained reason for wanting to stay AMD.

Somebody having run Thuban even 6 core...

...has NO real idea how hot an 8 core FX processor will run. And to get the most out of an FX 8320 or 8320E you need a good board. The two best so far are both by Asus hanging up top with that Asrock EXT 9 somewhere up there. But not nearly as popular in here as the two Asus best of class for FX 8 core processor.

Now if you really just want to get the upgrade done and have gaming power and plenty for most other tasks, you could go with something similar to what is shown below. You could change mobo brand below for something by another brand maker and hang with the cpu and still be gaming ready without having to guess about the platform. Just video card and ram.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132118
ASUS Z97-A LGA 1150 Intel Z97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117372
Intel Core i5-4690K Devil's Canyon Quad-Core 3.5GHz LGA 1150 Desktop Processor BX80646I54690K

They do not make nor sell an FM2+ rig that can touch the two above and you for sure need DDR3-2133 ram to get the most out of an FM2+ setup. They are really rather weak overall. 2 Modules and 4 cores is not 4 cores in the long run.

To go with AMD AM3+ you need a top of the line mobo and best with DDR3-1866 ram. You could run the mobo shown above with your 16Gig of ram.

You really are at a bad place to talk upgrade with AMD. There is very little that makes real sense in the long run to buy and wish you had more gaming power later when everything is thought over and looked at.

i don't care for Intel myself, but we are not talking about what I like. We or I am trying to get you into enough gaming power at the cpu level not to have to look back for a year or two at the cpu or mobo.

RGone...

i have 16 gigs of this in the system now. the sig doesent reflect it how ever:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231518

it was in an effort to eliminate possibilities and it gave my wifes computer the 16 gigs i had in this before which appears to not have been a limiting factor the whole time. best to get it while its cheap though as it'll start to go away soon.
as for intel it just seems to me in my mind that any intel processor that's worth a damn costs way too much. theres this huge price rift that cant be explained in any way that i can fathom.

as for what bob said.... wha?
i don't know where you got 8370 from, i was looking at clock per clock efficiency of the 8320 and the 8320E

and as far as the no asus thing. way way back when Pentium 2 and slotted processors were the norm i had an asus board. motherboards were a tad bit more back then considering how much you made, inflation and what haves you. it died, shortly after getting it. past the newegg return policy but before the manufacturer's ended. they did nothing about it. emaild about repair repeatedly. they did nothing. ever since then it just kinda showed me the quality of their product and the ability to help people out with their products.

never again will i asus.

it took me months to save up for a replacement, by that time coppermine P3's came out and Athlon's hadn't quite made their way into things so i ditched out of the P2 until i got a hand me down mobo and grabbed a socket 370 and a cheepo Celeron 400. either way it was a welcomed boost from my 233 Pentium MMX with 64 megs of 60ns SIMMs and a voodoo 3

If you are looking at one of the more power efficient FX CPUs, the cost difference between AMD and Intel may still exist, but if you are looking at Overclocking one of the FX 8XXX cpus, the cost of getting a quality MOBO, which is a necessity, negates any difference between the two. In fact, the cost of an i5-4690k with a decent board and an FX-8350 and a good board are close to the same.

Not to mention the cost difference in necessary cooling required for the FX series.

You know LoganG, you could hardly speak more accurately, even if I almost faint at the idea. Too many people cannot hear the truth. In this AMD cpu forum section and largely in the AMD mobo section we have had to act like the mobo police with people falling for the 8 core FX thing and not getting enough motherboard with a good VRM circuit and then getting some cooling.

He could get (Niku-Sama) a somewhat presentable Giga 970-UD3P mother board. An FX-6350 and enough cooling to run at 4.8Ghz and do okay. Good DDR3-1866 ram and again cannot stress the cooling side enough since that FX-6350 at 4.8Ghz should then perform. But at anything less than that type of Mhz, the FX processors just fall off since their IPC in most games is lacking.

I would not suggest an FM2+ setup to my enemies since they just don't have the beans to really push performance. They are okay for an email rig, HTPCs and the like overall, even though many get them. I think then they just have to put up with what they got and they still run hot since those APUs use steamroller technology and also have a iGPU inside unless getting the APU without any video inside which it then really is no longer an APU. So much crap.

No none of my FX-8350s are for sale. None of the Asus CHVs or the Asrock 990FX Pro boards are for sale. None of the water cooling blocks and high flow pumps. So yes it is a pain to have to recommend Intel to a user as the better alternative at any time...but it happens.

RGone...

If you are looking at one of the more power efficient FX CPUs, the cost difference between AMD and Intel may still exist, but if you are looking at Overclocking one of the FX 8XXX cpus, the cost of getting a quality MOBO, which is a necessity, negates any difference between the two. In fact, the cost of an i5-4690k with a decent board and an FX-8350 and a good board are close to the same.

Not to mention the cost difference in necessary cooling required for the FX series.

To go FX 8320 or the 8320E you will be looking at needing a decent Motherboard. Not sure if there is allot of difference between the two in the end. I know when I got my FX 8370 another user also bought one at the same time as well as the 8370 E the difference he found between the two was minimal you might want to go through the Just Putzin thread start at the end and go back 20 or so pages (might have to go back farther) to see some comparisons.

However to run any of these FX 6 or 8 Core CPU you will need a good Motherboard and COOLING if you plan to OC it and unfortunately the more of an OC you want the more you will have to spend. If you are happy with a mild OC in the 4.5 - 4.6 GHZ ish area you can get away with good air cooling and a lesser board but there really are just a couple boards you can use to get the big OC's and the two best are from ASUS then you are looking at the Asrock boards mentioned above. If you are not going to shoot for the moon in your OC you might be able to look at one of the gigabyte boards ..... either the 990FXA UD3 or the ...... I think it is the 970A UD3P. I am sure someone can correct that if I am wrong.

I think RGone's advice above is pretty spot on though I will differ a bit on how stout the A10 7850K can be, I have one and in some ways have been surprised though not sure if this is the right direction for you. Though I have liked mine so far as to what I am able to do with it I have recently accumulated to many system parts and am either gonna hand it down to my girlfriend or part it out here later in the classified along with some other stuff. I was supposed to do that this weekend but this cold I picked up has kinda put me off my game a bit and got me out of bed early today as well.

Back