• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ati radeon hd 6950 - Vertical split screen behaviour

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SunJean

Registered
Hi,
I wanted to ask if anyone can enlighten me on this behaviour this card has given me recently.
I'll post a video I uploaded from the phone to show you the issue.

Basically, when opening a game (In the example is Fifa 15, but it does it with Starcraft 2 too) suddenly the screen splits up, it may fix itself for a few seconds but then the problem reappear. Also the desktop is affected, a reboot is necessary to fix the issue.

What basically happens in my screen, something like this:
-Normal screen => 0________1920 pixels, perfectly fits
-My screen => 0(1000th pixel)____1000(1920th pixel)_____1920(999th pixel)

I've got the card since 3 years ago. I already tried to update drivers. The problem is born around 2 weeks ago. Haven't changed monitor neither HDMI cable since then. Any suggestion?

SunJean

Wow that is a weird glitch! Never seen that before...

I know you've said you have tried changing drivers but when you change them, do you use any programs to remove any parts of the driver left over? A program like Display Driver Uninstaller is good to use.

Have you tried reseating the HDMI cable? Do you have another monitor to test to rule out it's not the monitor either?

Hi,
I tried reseating the cables, no luck. Unfortunately atm I'm not in disposal of a new cable/monitor, will let you know eventually.
About the driver I used the utility downloaded from the AMD site, without using third parts software.

My hd 6950 did this pushing memory to hard when benching

Is your card overclocked is it a reference or non-reference card

Hi,
I tried reseating the cables, no luck. Unfortunately atm I'm not in disposal of a new cable/monitor, will let you know eventually.
About the driver I used the utility downloaded from the AMD site, without using third parts software.

If you use the new installer it may not remove all remnants of the old driver.

Best way to do it:

download display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)
Uninstall old display drivers
Reboot into safe mode
Run DDU
Restart into full OS, install new drivers

I have seen this process resolve so many issues... It may not resolve yours, but def worth a try.

Thanks sandyduff, asap I'll try both of your advices, yours and Quickfast's, and will let you know!

My HD 6850 would do this as well if the memory overclock was unstable. I would also get black lines across the screen most of the time when it happened, but it would always offset vertically just like that.

Guys after a week of testing the video card is no more showing the problem. The only thing I did, which was the first and last since the problem seems solved, is to adjust the core clock speed of the card from 800mhz (standard) to 750 mhz (underclock). I'll let you know however if the problem reappear in the future. Thanks for your advices and your time.

Kindly

SunJean

Back