• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Raspberry Pi 2 arrives with quad-core CPU, 1GB RAM, same $35 price

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
http://arstechnica.com/information-...ves-with-quad-core-cpu-1gb-ram-same-35-price/

i never messed with the first one, but alot of people rave about it. thought i would post this for those interested, i might actually get this one. with MS behind it and offering windows 10 for free with the Pi. this is going to be a nice option for people that just need email and some surfing, for those that like to kick things up. how about a new supercomputer, like that guy that took 64 of the originals for a cluster. i think it is to bad there isnt a slightly high-end version with a 1gb nic on board and sporting 1 sata 2 port along with usb3 then making it 2gb of ram. even if pushed to $100 that would still be a steal in many ways.

*edit*
I dont keep track like i use to of things, was reading around on line. came across a new Odriod device, well new to me, the C1. that sports a Gb nic and quad core clocked at 1.5ghz, only thing missing is 2gb for ram and sata port. still Pi-2 has a competior being the C1 is $35 as well. Odriod has USA/UK/German distributors which is nice to see since you could only get them direct from Korea.

Last edited:
What exactly is the point of raspberry pi's?

I don't understand the appeal besides the price.

It has less RAM, CPU, etc., than the average smartphone, it runs Linux (hipsters, aaah!), need I go on?

Pi's can do alot of things, long the lines of ardrino's but with more cpu power and about the same cost. Use a Pi for a robot project or as some others have already done emulated consoles or run MAME on it and put it into a arcade cabinet. with something that small and pulling less then 2watts, there are lot of things it can be used for.

it first started as a way to offer people in developing countries a low cost pc solution. if i remember right, when Pi first launched for every one purchased one was donated, think it was a limited time thing.

Last edited:
Pi's can do alot of things, long the lines of ardrino's but with more cpu power and about the same cost. Use a Pi for a robot project or as some others have already done emulated consoles or run MAME on it and put it into a arcade cabinet. with something that small and pulling less then 2watts, there are lot of things it can be used for.

it first started as a way to offer people in devolving countries a low cost pc solution. if i remember right, when Pi first launched for every one purchased one was donated, think it was a limited time thing.

I turned mine into a home server. Actually though, it was to teach school children programming, although low cost PC in the third world is a good use

What exactly is the point of raspberry pi's?

I don't understand the appeal besides the price.

It has less RAM, CPU, etc., than the average smartphone, it runs Linux (hipsters, aaah!), need I go on?

Hey there- the hate can go two ways, Windows users don't seem to like it when I go on about how much it sucks big time I prefer Linux ;)

http://arstechnica.com/information-...ves-with-quad-core-cpu-1gb-ram-same-35-price/

i never messed with the first one, but alot of people rave about it. thought i would post this for those interested, i might actually get this one. with MS behind it and offering windows 10 for free with the Pi. this is going to be a nice option for people that just need email and some surfing, for those that like to kick things up. how about a new supercomputer, like that guy that took 64 of the originals for a cluster. i think it is to bad there isnt a slightly high-end version with a 1gb nic on board and sporting 1 sata 2 port along with usb3 then making it 2gb of ram. even if pushed to $100 that would still be a steal in many ways.

*edit*
I dont keep track like i use to of things, was reading around on line. came across a new Odriod device, well new to me, the C1. that sports a Gb nic and quad core clocked at 1.5ghz, only thing missing is 2gb for ram and sata port. still Pi-2 has a competior being the C1 is $35 as well. Odriod has USA/UK/German distributors which is nice to see since you could only get them direct from Korea.

you may be interested: http://www.maximumpc.com/intels_149_compute_stick_turns_your_tv_windows_81_device_2015 bit more then $100 for the Windows version, but Linux one is $89. x86-64 too, so 64bits and compatible with regular computer programs (useful on Linux too for things like steam, skype, etc.)

TBH i would rather go with a linux arm system vs intel's atom cpu. im willing to bet that the 900mhz will offer similar performance for day to day things to the atom to make it not worth going too. not only is the cost that much higher for performance that will be beat even by a arm at the same speed, it can not compete on power usage. i mean the Pi 2 is under 2watts of power usage vs intels could be about 10watts or so.

Also, if Pi 2 is like the first Pi overclocking may be a possibility as well- my Pi is at 800Mhz up from 700, but some people have slapped a small heat sink on there and gotten 1Ghz out of the CPU and doubled the GPU clock from 250Mhz to 500. Since Pi 2 is already at 900Mhz I wouldn't be surprised if it can pull more

i would be more worried about stability but yes it would take some testing. if i needed something with a faster clock speed i would be more inclined to pick up the odriod C1 though. Either or the Odriod XU, with Samsungs 8 core cpu, well [email protected] or 1.7ghz and the 4@800mhz or so. being able to tap into all 4 cores at once would be nice but would seem a bit loop sided if trying to use all 8 for doing one task.

im starting to wonder how possible it might be to take either the C1 or Pi-2 and make a mini-cluster. then use it to help with transcoding a/v files, at $35 a pop getting about 4 to start with would make it worth looking into. use alot less power then x86 and put out alot less heat as well. on the other hand, if it were possible to tap into the GpGPU side if the Pi-2's is possible. the C1 sports a dual mali core 450, which i havent looked at in detail. there are just a few possibilities here with one.

Back