• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Router options for 60 MBPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Puer Aeternus

Hi all,
I was about to upgrade my cable to 60MBPS (from 28) and told that my modem is out of date...this got me wondering about my router. Will I need to upgrade that too to get 60 MBPS? My router is a DIR 655. ideas suggestions? I will likely continue to use my cat5 cable to power my pc but the Fiance will want the faster wi fi speed.
Thanks!

Last edited:
They are telling you to buy a Docsis 3 router as a docsis 2.0 is only capable of 42.88 (38) Mbit/s down and 30.72 (27) Mbit/s up per channel.

The slowest 802.11n can achieve 72 megabits per second (on a single 20 MHz channel with one antenna and 400 ns guard interval)

The Modem I ordered is the Technicolor 476 ($108 w/ tax and shipping). The router I am currently using is the Xtreme N Gigabit (N+300) Dir 655. Where I am confused is the speed. I assume the 300 means 30 MB/PS for wifi?
and up to 1000MBPS w/ a cat 5 cable? I just want the numbers on this thing and whether I should get a better one.

http://www.dlink.com.ph/products/?idproduct=21&idCategory=175

Last edited:
802.11n networks support approximately 300 Mbps of rated (theoretical) bandwidth under the best conditions.

The only thing you can do is upgrade to 802.11ac but that involves upgrading every device you use if you want to see ac speeds.

Back