• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyway to password lock opened ports?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kyij

I have had my security cameras setup for some time and have not had an issue. The problem is that I opened the ports so I can view them outside the network. Obviously this would let anyone that knows the ports/has a sniffer/etc to view the cameras.

Maybe there could be a separate machine in between the router and modem? Maybe my Asus AC87U has a function? Maybe the one landing html page (where I can view all of my cameras) can be locked which has access to view the cameras. But with that, I am not sure you can have html access an inside network function and others not actually be able to see the commands either.

Anyhow have an idea? Thanks

You're saying that you can just connect to your IP on whatever port your camera is streaming on with something like VLC and you get a stream without authentication?
Your camera system should have a web interface for managing and viewing that can be locked down.

You're saying that you can just connect to your IP on whatever port your camera is streaming on with something like VLC and you get a stream without authentication?
Your camera system should have a web interface for managing and viewing that can be locked down.

In order for me to reduce file size, and for them all to "record" to my server, I use "motion" on Debian. So maybe motion has a way?

But I just tell motion which ports to snatch onto. Then I port forwarded the ports so I can access outside the network. It makes it a lot easier when I go to my site/IP address.

I can use VLC/firefox/IE to view the streams but I did make a html landing page which captures the streams and I can watch them all on one page.

My camera did have authentication for controlling the device, but I can have a guest account which is what I am doing. Those can just watch the streams, and then via my server/port forwarding I can watch it outside.

If you've already gone through the effort of creating a landing page to view the streams, I would just do that. Don't forward the ports directly to your devices, but to your http server instead, and require basic authentication. Your web page should be able to stream from the open ports within your LAN without having to expose them to the WAN. If you do this, though, the only way you'll be able to view your cameras from outside your network is through that page.

Have you looked into using motion for capturing, but using another software suite for streaming? Something like Blue Iris?

Back