• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Yes you can fold with Nvidia and AMD at the same time!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

torin3

Since the question has come up before, I figured it would be nice to post some proof that you can fold on both Nvidia and AMD cards at the same time.

970 and 7970 in the same machine.

dual.png

which drivers and how do you install them?

Catalyst 14.9 and Nvidia 347.25, for Win 7 64 bit on this machine.

You just install them. Express install for both of them. If you already have one card in, put the other one in, then install the drivers and reboot.

The only time I ever had problems with AMD/Nvidia cards in the same machine it turned out to be due to a flaky motherboard.

Since it was me who asked, recently, thank you. I need to install my 560Ti with my 7970. As you are all aware, I'm getting soundly beat by equinox at every step. Be that as it may, I refuse to quit. This is good info torin. May the fold be with you. :salute:

Didn't think of that specifically. I've got my 460 sitting around but doubt it's throughput would matter when the drivers are no longer supported.

sooooooo, I can run one of my 290's for folding while I work with my 770? in the same rig???

sooooooo, I can run one of my 290's for folding while I work with my 770? in the same rig???

I don't see any reason why not. PhysX may not work though. A while back Nvidia tweaked it to not work with AMD cards. Don't know if they are still doing it. But other than that, you should be ok.

after I test my new 280 cards this weekend I'll give it a spin, my gtx 770 is better with the cfd work than my 7970's and much quieter than my 290's.

It's absolutely doable caddi, I've got the nvidia card in the 2nd slot and the r9 270 in the main slot, if I want to game I just pause cpu and slot 1 and the nvidia card keeps crunching away :D
I hope you don't crush me now lol, the fold is strong with this one :salute:

Could anyone bump this thread to a today scenario with a GTX 1070 & R9 290X involved -> think they would work together as well? I'm thinking why not, just a matter of slots, power, cooling & correct drivers.....with F@H in mind. Whitehawk steered me to a workable NVidia driver for folding on the 1070. Is there a better driver these days for the r9 290x? I was using it with any of the latest WHQL Radeon drivers & was fine. So I guess the real question is do these drivers Lately have any inherent conflicts that are known? Or should I be the guinea pig?

(I'm really struggling trying to get the R9 into my Linux box.......driver issues, and know it will produce reasonable PPD)

The new ones are a good improvement over any of the past drivers I've used, to the tune of about... I might have to find out how much better.

Edit: I did some calculating and figuring out how much of a difference it made, let me show you the numbers.

Oldest drivers used were the 15.11 set from Dec. 2015 and they averaged me 269,896ppd This was figured over 300 WUs on 3 290Xs and 1 390X.

the next set of drivers I used I didn't have a large enough pool of WUs to calculate, so I went to the last set of drivers I used prior to the most recent which were 16.9.2, I tried the 16.11 but reverted back cause they were WHQL signed so none of my futuremark runs came back valid, but the results were 261,263ppd over 169 WUs, not a good showing.

These newer drivers really impressed me tbh, and it's not a large pool of data but it is impressive for 16.12 for a 304,239ppd, that's a nice bump in production, and that was taken from 119 WUs.

Needless to say that these new driver are well worth it so far, hope that answers your question in the most long and drawn out way possible. :facepalm: wow I really dragged that one out. :blah:

Last edited:
Okey, dokey. I've just finished cramming my R9 290X into Unit 1 alongside my 1070. I'm having difficulty configuring the R9. The 1070 is fine; and when I attempt to set up another GPU slot the F@H client 'finds' my iGPU which according to Pande will nab me a nifty 838 pts over 8 days. So, no.

Share any thoughts as to how to get the R9 heating my office. PS-> I did uninstall F@H including data and reinstalled after I had loaded the minimal AMD drivers.

Hmm not sure Robert, I've only done it with the fx series so no on board gpu to mess to mess with f@h. Hopefully someone more learned with Intel can steer you in the right direction.

That was done before first boot. I did manage to get both the 1070 & 290x loaded and folding. For moments before the 'kernal power' started having issues. System shuts down. I've killed my OCs and resorted to system defaults while trying to figure out how to re-do what I did done.

The trick at first was to get Winderz to recognize both drives. I tricked it with an HMDI switch; seems that the old MS bug regarding connector plugging for video is still around. F@H client is my challenge at the moment.

Back