• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Soulcatcher668

I am looking at getting a smart phone. My glorious samsung flip phone is in its final death throws.

I am leaning towards a Nexus 5.

Thoughts?

Budget, size constraints, priorities, list of options to choose from?

I will not buy an Iphone....... I have to buy enough apple products for my wife and they annoy the crap out of me.

I would like to keep the phone under 600 CAD.

It must be unlocked.

Other than that..... I'm a virgin in this territory.

I'm really happy with the Galaxy S5 I bought a couple of months ago. Pretty good deal on Amazon paid 49.99 for it with a 2 yr Verizon contract. I believe it's 79.99 now.

With that budget, the world is your oyster really. I'm a huge fan of my LG G3, but it's not unlocked from the get-go, you have to root and install a specific recovery, but once you do that it's totally unlocked. I'm running the latest version of Lollipop on an AOSP based ROM without any problems (except wireless charging, which still doesn't work on LP, nobody can figure out why).

I wouldn't go with the Nexus 5 because that's basically outdated at this point. If you want a Nexus device, get the Nexus 6.

I'd steer away from Galaxy S5 if you want an unlocked device. Samsung/Touchwiz is as locked down as it gets. Nothing against your phone Mandrake, but they aren't the easiest devices to deal with when you're looking for something unlocked.

Thanks for all the input. I am in Canada so the wireless market is a little different and by that I mean expensive.

The (unreleased here) Nexus 6 will be over 900 dollars CAD).

I picked up a used nexus 5........ we will see how it goes.

I'm in Canada, and I just got a nexus 6 on contract. If I had gotten it off contract the price would have $750...

rogers would have let me buy it outright, it would have cost $750.
i ended up getting the phone for $150 on contract, due to the fact that buying it outright would have only save me $8/month over the 2 years of the contract.

oh maybe.
google play store also has it listed for $750, although that was above your price range anyways.

Buy a OnePlus One. Then you get a great phone that just "works" out of the box, without having to deal with the terrible UI and bloatware of Samsung/HTC/other manufacturers.

Moto X 2014 is also a great phone if you want something smaller. And no, you DON'T need an invite to buy a OPO.

If it were me and I had that kind of budget, I would have maybe waited for the Ubuntu phone....but then I haven't met many clockers that wait for any length of time..which ironicly is why they overclock.

I have a cheap Huawei Glory and it works great, except I don't always get blue bars (3g)... sometimes I will have a full set of bars but they are all grey, which I assume it means that I'm connected, but no data is coming or going.
below is a link to a video of the ubuntu phone

Waiting is not really my thing....

This is my first smart phone and I am amazed at how much it can do.

I guess I really have retired my Samsung flip phone. RIP little phone.

Welcome to the dark side. I held out for a while too with my Motorola flip phone. About three years after it was released, I bought a first gen Motorola Droid from a coworker for $20. It was all over after that...upgraded to a Galaxy S3 then two years later to my G3.

LG G3 is one of the best phones on the market with one of the best screens. I recommend it highly.

Back