• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

size of xbox 360 E 4gb hd slot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NiteSmoker17

My children are constantly complaining about lack of space for there 360 4gb. I have a sata 3 2.5" 160 gb hd laying around and wanted to know what size is the hd slot. I see a lot on how to set up the hd but nobody says whether it's a 2.5" laptop hd or is it a 3.5" drive. I'm gonna guess it's a 2.5" drive but wanted some clarification on this point.
Also if anybody has software or a method to add an internal drive to the xbox 360 4gb model let me know. Also can u use a ssd?

Last edited:
Its a 2.5" hard drive slot but no other hard disk is recommended other then microsoft made hdd. So, using any other 2.5" hard disk may or may not work and even for it work you'll have to flash it using hd hackr tool. Thats all i can tell by looking at the other similar discussions on other websites.

You cannot simply install the drive into the 360 and use it. I have a 320GB WD blue in my 360 that I flashed the appropriate file to. It's an easy task as long as you use the right drive. while it uses a 2.5" sata drive, the opening is for a custom case that houses the drive. that said it will plug in without the case, but should be supported with a wad of paper or electrical tape.

Well don't you need custom firmware/partition settings on the drive for the 360 to recognize it?
Might be easier to buy a drive at a second hand store for a few bucks.

You don't on the ones that are user-installable. My 360 slim just has a drive slot that you install a hard drive into and tell it to format.

You don't on the ones that are user-installable. My 360 slim just has a drive slot that you install a hard drive into and tell it to format.

Aah yeah thats post my generation of 360. I had an early edition one with the HDD on the outside of the unit.

My son just bought Destiny for his Xbox 360 4g, which requires a hard drive to be installed. What you're saying Janus is if I just put a drive in and format it, it should work? I have a 120 Gb SSD I can use.

I believe so, I bought a drive caddy on amazon to hold the drive so it easily slid into place. May want to double check via a quick Google search

I believe so, I bought a drive caddy on amazon to hold the drive so it easily slid into place. May want to double check via a quick Google search
Thanks Janus, I saw those caddys on Amazon also. I'll give it a whirl with the SSD and report back.

I don't remember needing to do this, but it's been multiple years:

I don't remember needing to do this, but it's been multiple years:
Saw that also Janus, I'm getting conflicting info on whether you can add any random Hd and use it or if you need to use the Hddhacker. I'll try it and see, what happens. Thanks again.

Ok so I popped my Samsung SSD in the XBOX today and it did not show the drive in "storage". This could be an issue on my end because the SSD has Win 7 on it and I was thinking I could just format the disk while in the XBOX. I'm going to format the drive and see if this makes a difference.

Looks like the only way to use a non Ms hard drive is with the HDDhacker. I even tried a WD passport 320g via usb and it lets me use it as storage but still says I need a hard drive in order to play the game. Gah!!!!

Last edited:
You have to use an MS drive or one that is flashed with the appropriate firmware. I took a drive from an original 360, removed it from the cage, and just popped it in the slot. Wadded up some paper to put underneath to support the drive because I keep the unit horizontal.

You have to use an MS drive or one that is flashed with the appropriate firmware. I took a drive from an original 360, removed it from the cage, and just popped it in the slot. Wadded up some paper to put underneath to support the drive because I keep the unit horizontal.
Thanks, I had read conflicting reports on the net whether one needed a drive with the Ms firmware on it or not. As I posted the SSD didn't work at all and the WD passport is only good for storing files. Being lazy I didn't want to start flashing firmware from HDDhacker onto the SSD so, I just bought an original XBOX drive as well and am going to take it out of the case and insert it. Thanks.

Back