• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

screen blanks out?!?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t1nm4n

Ok so computer is one listed below, occasionally the monitor just blanks out, returns in a second or two, not an idle thing cause it will blank out when I'm typing or watching videos. No OC on the gpus, and 4.4g on the cpu, all temps (as I found out in another thread) are good. under 40c for the cpu and under 70 for the gpu for gaming and everything else, have not had the screen blank out while I was gaming. I have checked double and triple checked that under power settings monitor is never disabled or turned off. The only other thing I can think it might be is this Asus PB287Q 4k monitor, I am running it at 4k 60hz and this is when it started doin the blank out thing. Checked all the setting on the monitor and couldn't find anything where it would try and sleep or shut down. I guess it could be the new cable, but it did it with a different cable I had.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this happen and found an answer or a decent way to troubleshoot possibilities. Thanks in advance for the help.

Could be something with the cable or the monitor, though try disabling ULPS via registry (or the switch in Afterburner if you're using it) to see if the cards are blanking the screen when going into ultra-low power mode, since you said it's not happening during gaming. After that try very-slightly overvolting/overclocking the cards if disabling ULPS doesn't do it.

Thanks for the reply, I think I got it figured out, not sure what it was, but I had adjusted some setting on the display, I guess sat brightness or something, might of been one of the predefined color settings, I just did a reset all on the monito and put it back in display 1.2 under setting to retain 4k @60hz and it's all fixed. I should of thought of that before posting.

How do I put solved or close the thread?

Black screens are very common with the 290x
What cable are you connecting with?

I hate to give you bad news but its likely to come back while playing a game or something.

As it turns out, it does come back, it had nothing to do with monitor settings, it was like all the rest, most likely the cable, I have two different DP1.2 cable, I believe both of them are 1.1 and this is the reason. I finally found some answers on AMD forums about Display Port cables being the most likely culprit of the screen flashing.

On a side note, I also learned that not all cable listed as DP1.2 are not. Order one of the cable listed as truly 1.2 and we'll see how it works. With all things there comes the growing pains.

some solutions to black screen.

Use newest bios for card.
Use newest drivers for card.
Don't up your voltages much from stock if you do it can cause black screens sometimes even without touching clocks themselves in some cards.

GL
if it keeps happening RMA it.

Got a replacement cable "Accell" DP1.2, seems to be working just fine now, played several games all 4k 60Hz and no blinking screen. So I guess these 290x's are pretty picky on what cables you use for 4k.

yes some have issues also with port not just cable.
like a Dual link DVI will black screen on you while a Display port wont..
or HDMI wont . Many had issues with the DL-DVI tho.

I've still had Blackscreens when messing with voltages on these cards just a bit too much past stock volts and bloop blackscreen during games.

Back