• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG 750Dlaw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dlaw

Obsidian Blue

I know, the name is lame. If you can come up with something better, please let me know in a PM. Don't want to clutter up the thread with people barking out names, right?

Anyways, I figured I'd start a log now, that way I only have to upload pics and discriptions. Let's start with a parts list, shall we?

The main system:
Corsair Obsidian 750D
i7 4790K
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
ASRock Z97 eXtreme6
G.Skill RipJaws X 2400MHz 2x8GB
2x EVGA NVidia GTX 980 ACX 2.0
EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2
Samsung 850 Evo 250GB
Western Digital Blue 1TB
Windows 8.1 64bit OEM

Peripherals:
Samsung U28D590D 28" 4k monitor
Levetron Mech 5 keyboard (already had)
SteelSeries Sensei mouse (already had)
Cheapo Logitech speakers from Walmart (already had)
Creative Fatality headset (already had)
External LG DVD burner
APC BE650G1 390w UPS

I ordered everything that I didn't already have last night. Should start trickling in early next week. I'll take pictures of everything, including before and after pics of my desk area (redoing that this week, this weekend at the latest) as soon as I can.

Last edited:
Got some parts today, snapped some shots with my crappy cell phone. I'll upload them in a few minutes, gotta find the cable...

Edit: Here they are, sorry for the terrible cell phone pics:

This is a picture of my old PC desk area. Way to cramped, so...
WP_20150210_001[1].jpg

I got a new desk.
WP_20150210_002[1].jpg

Here are the parts that came in:
WP_20150210_003[1].jpg

And I threw the bare essentials together to make sure that there were no DOAs:
WP_20150210_036[1].jpg

So far, so good. Everything checks out.

Last edited:
Got the case today, sorry again for the crappy phone pics:
WP_20150211_002[1].jpg

She's pretty roomy:
WP_20150211_007[1].jpg

So, this is what I have right now:
WP_20150211_010[1].jpg

Next in should be the 980s. I can't wait!

I feel like I had a bit of influence in the component choices :rofl:

Looking good so far!!

Yea, you definitely helped out. So far, I'm pretty happy. This case is by far the easiest one I've ever worked in, and the whole system is snappy as hell.

Yea, you definitely helped out. So far, I'm pretty happy. This case is by far the easiest one I've ever worked in, and the whole system is snappy as hell.

Glad you're liking it!
A nice SSD definitely makes a system snappy :)

What was the old system? My 840 EVO is awesome.

960T on an Asrock Extreme3, 16GB 1600MHz Mushkin ram, 840 non EVO/Pro, 1TB HDD, GTX 550Ti. Sold it this past summer to fix the car. That's the only reason I got to do a full build instead of upgrading.

It wasn't the greatest, but it was pretty fast. Now I see what I was missing out on. lol

Hmm. I wonder if that was some setting that was wrong.
I don't think my FX-6300 was as fast on an SSD as my Intel gear is.

Hmm. I wonder if that was some setting that was wrong.
I don't think my FX-6300 was as fast on an SSD as my Intel gear is.

Maybe. I did do a bunch of tweaks, got the boot time down to ~25 seconds from pushing the power button to a usable desktop. Don't get me wrong, it was no slouch, but this just feels so much more powerful. I've been holding off on gaming 'till I get my video cards, but I have a feeling that this system is gonna blow me away.

On a side note: Can you still hardlink folders like Documents, Downloads and such to a second drive in Win8.1?

Edit: Nevermind, I figured it out. lol.

Last edited:
Windows 8.1 is the same as Vista with (another) different skin and some minor improvements.
It'll be about the same as anything you did in 7 :thup:

Video cards came in today! Here are some more crappy phone pics:

WP_20150212_001[1].jpg

WP_20150212_004[1].jpg

WP_20150212_006[1].jpg

WP_20150212_012[1].jpg

WP_20150212_020[1].jpg

WP_20150212_015[1].jpg

I'm in the process of installing what seems like 1000 games, but it will all be worth it in the end!

Now I'm just waiting on the monitor. That should be in tomorrow! WooHoo!

Mmmmm, that's sexy!

I see an edit you can make to your sig ;)

Oh yea! Thanks man, I'm really happy with how this rig turned out for now. I think I'm gonna look for some lights, but that's just about the final product for this year.

Editing sig now! lol

Got the monitor today! However, I also had my first minor caveat with this entire build come with it. The silly thing didn't come with a DisplayPort cable. However, it did come with an HDMI cable, which will work for 4K at 30Hz, so I'll take it for now.

So, I called Walmart, and the poor girl in the electronics department had no idea whatsoever what I was talking about when I asked her if they carried DP cables.

So then, I called Radio Shack, thinking that they should at least know what I'm saying.
Nope. Not a clue.

And since I live near the edge of nowhere, there are no other options. So, I had to order it from Newegg. -1 egg for lack of a DP cable.
Other than that, this monitor is awesome! Here's a pic:

WP_20150213_004[1].jpg

So, I'll have to tear this mess of wires apart again sometime next week. Oh well. That's the build for this year, folks!

Back