• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG 750Dlaw

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So, I've been playing around with this for the weekend. Had a successful (I think) overclock of 4.7GHz, messed with the GPUs a little, and all I can say is WOW! I had no idea what I was missing. I'm seeing things in games that completely change the way I play. I'm still not playing at 4k (at 30hz, everything just feels slower, despite having 70+fps in everything but benchmarks), but I can't wait to get into that. Right now, I'm running everything at stock, since I don't need any more than that right now and I'd rather play my games than mess with the system. I'm sure one of those will change before long, though.

So, are there any tweaks I should know about that will help me get the most out of my system? Game specific settings I may not know about? I picked up Evolve Friday, and other than that right now I play Blacklight: Retribution and I have BF3 and CoD4 (neither are installed right yet though), as far as FPSs go.

I ordered these lights in blue today. They look about perfect, since the cord seems to be plenty long enough and it's USB powered (so I can use the built in port on my mobo). Do you guys think they would look best on the bottom or top of the case next to the side panel? I'm thinking probably top, to shadow the wires on the PSU and light up the sweet heat sink setup and RAM.

Yea, but this was cheaper and that's what matters to the woman! LOL! Honestly, after what I spent on this rig already, I'm kindof surprised that she let me do that.

"If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."

For me it's the whole "let me" thing. My wife said that one time and I laughed my {expletive} off. Now she just reminds me of what she can "Let me" NOT do and I usually get the hint. LMAO

I don't know if Nvidia suffers from the same problem ATI does when it comes to what DP1.2 cable you are using but, a lot of DP1.2 cable are really just a 1.1a cable branded 1.2. From what I can gather there is no real standard 1.2 as of yet, so companies can just call a duck a goose if they want. This cable was a lil more expensive than the cheapest cable I tried, but it solved my issues of screen flickering when running at 4K 60Hz. None the less if Nvidia isn't prone to those same problems, then it's all a mute point and disregard my post.

You will love 4K at 60Hz, I don't have the titles you do, but what I do have plays nicely at 4K save for some problems I think are contributed to my CPU more than anything.

Good looking machine, and might add nice cable management, always a shame to see a new system with cables flung about the place.

Thanks tinman, and I didn't know that about the DP cables. Hopefully I got one that works well then, I'll be pretty mad if I have to send this one back and wait for another effin week to play at 4k.

Thanks for the compliment, and the wire management was so easy in this case that I don't think anyone with half a brain and 20 minutes could do any worse than I. The only way Corsair could have possibly made it any easier would be to literally label where each and every cable should go.

So, a little update: I got my lights finally, and they're in. Here's the pics:

IMAG0022_BURST002.jpg

IMAG0023.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0027_BURST002.jpg

I'll take another pic or 2 when it gets darker, so the glare isn't as ridiculous. Until then, I have a question. Is there a way to shut them off? I mean, even if I shut the system down, they stay on. Is there any way to power them on and off easily?

Most motherboards have some ports that turn off and some that stay on. Try a different one.
The one I linked takes power from the PSU to avoid this issue.

It's the one that's on the front of the board. I chose these lights specifically because there was a USB port on the inside, so I didn't have to use a molex cable for 1 thing.

Anyway, I figured it out. I enabled Deep Sleep in S5. It's in the chipset settings, if I remember correctly. I just knew that if they stayed on even though the computer was off, my girlfriend would not be enthused. LOL.

Ok, decided I wasn't done. I needed a little more pop, more flare... More peripherals!

So, I got this pretty sweet mouse mat/pad/surface:

IMAG0038.jpg

It's the Roccat Siru in Cryptic Blue. There are a few things I really like about it. First, it's got a really sweet blue design on it. Second, it made my mouse feel even more responsive. I don't think I'll ever go back to a padded mat again. Third, and definitely the best thing about it, is it literally cost me $.02 shipped. As I'm sure you can imagine, I got a buttload of Eggpoints when I ordered my core system a couple months back. $14.97 worth, in fact. That, plus the Premier membership that I have until 4/1, got me this sweet mouse pad in 2 days flat for two cents.

Anyway, enough of the mouse pad. Here's the real reason I started this post:

IMAG0037.jpg

The Rosewill Apollo RK-9100. It's more comfortable than my Mech5, and it's pretty and matches my color scheme. I think it'll take a beating, which is what I intend to give it. I did have the E key "stick" (not the physical key, kept registering that it was depressed) on me once, but even if it does happen again, it's already seen a few thousand keystrokes, and it stuck within the first couple hundred. I can take it happening once in a while.

IMAG0036.jpg

So, I'm thinking of renaming this beast "Obsidian Blue", what do you all think?

I intend to update this thread with a pretty large upgrade in the near future, so I'm posting for the "bump".

Back