• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Planned New Build Need Input.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kayva

Registered
Hi guys! I'm currently about to drop $1500 into my rig, doing a nearly complete overhaul to my rig and recasing the parts to use the PC for other things. (probably folding, but not sure yet)

Its been 5 years since my last build outside a case upgrade and new Power Supply in 2013.. so I'm doing for a major one this time. This is how my prospective build sits right now.

AMD A10-7850K Kaveri 12 Compute Cores (4 CPU + 8 GPU) 3.7GHz Socket FM2+ 95W Desktop Processor AMD Radeon R7 series AD785KXBJABOX
ASUS CROSSBLADE RANGER FM2+ AMD A88X (Bolton D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
XFX R9-285A-CDFC Radeon R9 285 2GB 256-Bit DDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card (x2)
G.SKILL Sniper Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000) Desktop Memory Model F3-2133C10Q-32GSR
PNY Optima SSD7SC240GOPT-RB 2.5" 240GB SATA III Synchronous-Mode MLC, SLC or TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Boot Drive))
Seagate Hybrid Drive ST4000DX001 4TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD (Main Program Drive)
Western Digital Black 1TB SATA Drive (Carry Over from Current build - Will be used for Photo/Video Storage)
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
HP dvd1260 DVD Burner (Carry Over from current Build)
LG Black Blu-ray Burner SATA WH16NS40
NZXT SEN-001LX Sentry LX Aluminum dual bay fan controller (carry Over from Current Build)
Xigmatek Elysium Black CCC-HSA0DS-U01 All Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Super Tower Computer Case (Carry over from Current build)
XFX PRO850W XXX Edition Semi-Modular 80 Plus Silver Certified 850 Watt Active PFC Power Supply (Carry Over from Current build)
Windows 7 Home Premium (from current build)

Let Me know what you all think about this build. Anything that should be changed, swapped out of anything like that. Let me know :)

Hi Christina, this is a very mismatched system you have here... 32GB of RAM and a mid range GPU on an APU? No no. You don't want to do that. You're much, much better off with an i5/i7/Xeon. Infinitely better off. AMD is not a good choice for performance computing, which is clearly what you are aiming at here. If anything, this is 8 core FX territory, not 4 core APU territory, and even then, you're much better off going Intel.

Look at ATMINSIDE's build.

There are too many things that put up red flags for me about your build list to count. The dual 285s is a big red flag. 285s are a fool's purchase, given the price of 290s, and you don't want to put one, let alone two high performance GPUs in a build with an APU. APUs are for standalone use, or at best, for use with a very low end standalone GPU for dual graphics (APU and GPU working on graphics together). The APU will not be able to do dual graphics with the 285's. Never Crossfire/SLI with 2 mediocre graphics cards. You buy the best graphics card. Then if that becomes too paltry in future, you add a second one. Never buy 2 mandarin oranges when a single giant navel orange will fit the bill.

What the heck do you need 32GB of RAM for? Are you a full blown professional video editor and photoshopper? Do you work on absolutely gargantuan files while you have 150 browser tabs open? Seriously, almost nobody needs 32GB of RAM. Hell, most people don't even need 16.

PNY SSDs never get recommended around here because they are mediocre and have pulled bait and switch tactics with their SSD controllers in the past. You're much better off with a Crucial or Samsung drive. And you don't need a hybrid drive if you're using an SSD. Also, shouldn't the 1TB HDD be your program drive and the 4TB be for storage? Who has 4TB of programs?

Whatever you do, DO NOT build this PC. It'll be a disaster. Listen to ATMINSIDE.

Win 7 home premium is the only part I think will be ok- but make sure to take advantage of the free upgrade to Windows 10 for Win 7 and Win 8 users when it becomes available. It's looking like Win 10 will be the only platform that supports DX12 at this rate. Possibly 8.1 as well, but definitely not 7.

AMD fx trumps intel in a few areas still ocnoob. We need to figure out what he's doing. For example, in rendering my sound stuff, Im pretty confident my 8320 smokes a 4970k.

AMD fx trumps intel in a few areas still ocnoob. We need to figure out what he's doing. For example, in rendering my sound stuff, Im pretty confident my 8320 smokes a 4970k.

Its not an FX.

This is one of the reasons I posted this up, I've been out of it for a while so I lost track of newer tech, plus any previous build my boyfirend would help me to make sure I didn't make some disaster, but we went our separate ways a few years ago. @ATMINSIDE I will definatly look at your build list and adjust accordingly, Thank You

Any parts that you go "why'd he do that", feel free to ask about :)

I understand the build so I'm good.. Also wondering if I should go water cooled but that is something I have never messed with

Last edited:
I understand the build so I'm good.. Also wondering if I should go water cooled but that is something I have never messed with

There's really no need unless you just really want to do it. Go with atleast a 240mm if not a 280mm cooler. Make sure your case will support it. The NHD14 is more reliable and quieter though. No pump to fail, no lines to leak. And it'll cool your VRM's a little bit too, which a liquid cooler won't do.

I think you should build ATM's build as he posted it. You'll be very pleased with the results. The only thing I would change is possibly the GPU. I'd keep the 970 but maybe look at an ASUS Strix or Gigabyte G1.

It was just a thought, I've been running a NH-D14 for 5 years on my current build and have been very happy with it.

It was just a thought, I've been running a NH-D14 for 5 years on my current build and have been very happy with it.

If you have the proper mounting hardware still in a drawer somewhere, you might want to save a few bucks and just take your NHD14, give it a good cleaning, and move it to the new system. I've had one for five years (almost) as well. Trusty little beast.

I was thinking about it, but I'm not taking that system out of service. I decided instead to re-purpose it as a Server or join a folding team

Back