• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

re: getting Nvidia to play nice with Linux

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DocClock aka MadClocker

re: getting Nvidia to play nice with Linux

Well, I somehow got the Nvidia drivers to work in LXLE, e.g. no black screen, but now everything is all fuzzy and I can't find any way to adjust the rez...right now it is at 640x480 :confused:

I am so lost with this OS but I haven't given up just yet...I ran xrandr -q which turned up "couldn't get gamma sizes for output default"
Screen 0 min 640x480 current 640x480 maximum 640x480

I now have about 23 open browser tabs on my wintel box to try to glean info (which is like having your teeth pulled) and still have my other linux box free to make adjustments to...I just hope my KVM switch lasts through this back and forth stuff.

So far I have been on countless forums to get some info, and I get a little crumb here and a crumb there, but not enough to make any sense of what I'm trying to accomplish....and it would seem that most linux geeks are slow to give up any info or give instructions that are at least cryptic and at worst nonsensical.

At present I'm running LXLE (ubuntu precise pangolin) and the monitor is a Gateway FPD1730, and the 8800gt is using 331 drivers
Any suggestions would be more than welcome.

P.S. I tried to find a driver for this monitor, but ll I got were scams trying to get me to install some malware or cr@pware, and I'ma not gonna do it.
Thanks in advance

:edit Forgot to add that the verson is 12.04 LTS :edit

I don't have experience with that distro, but in LXDE (the desktop it uses) the tool gui to manage this is called lxrandr. If you can't find it in a menu open a terminal and type it in.

EDIT----

This is best suited for their own forum:
http://lxle.net/forum/

Also the Ubuntu forums could help. The number of Linux users on this forum isn't overwhelming

Actually Jinx,
I have had better luck with the smart people here...and from what I've read it is not LXLE specific...it is the 1st distro that I have been able to get the nvidia drivers to work.
Problem is it was about 4-6 in the morning and I had been up all nite and don't remember what I did to get the drivers to go. Go figure he?

Actually Jinx,
I have had better luck with the smart people here...and from what I've read it is not LXLE specific...it is the 1st distro that I have been able to get the nvidia drivers to work.
Problem is it was about 4-6 in the morning and I had been up all nite and don't remember what I did to get the drivers to go. Go figure he?

Well the first thing would be to try lxrandr. Avoid going into the files yourself if it's a simple fix. It looks like this (ignoring my sloppy screenshot cut):

2015-02-08-224424_679x236_scrot.png

That's my set up there. Hopefully you can just turn them right up. Otherwise, the actual xrandr terminal application for which lxrandr is a front end for might be a good option. The arch wiki usually has the most complete articles on these things.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/xrandr

Hey Doc, what time zone are you in? PM me I'll get you some one on one support.

Some of this is hard to diagnose from the snippets that are provided

Yea Stratus_ss, I'm on the opposite side of the continent, but if you have the time this weekend, I will get on here (hopefully early enough) and maybe you can help me get this puppy to rockin'..ANd Jinx,
I followed the advice on how to convert 1024 768 60 and added the string to my setup and when I ran LXrandr, I had the option for 1024x768 @ 60hz, but when I clicked on it, I get the usual cannot get gamma size blah blah, and it stays at 640x480
The monitor is a Gateway FPD1730...typical that gateway doesn't have any drivers listed for that model on their site.

I am wondering if I can use Windows to find all the specifics of the monitor and input it into linux? I mean I have both computers running on a KVM switch so it is not that hard to change over from one to the other.

In the meantime, I will poke around a bit in windblows and see what I can glean from it.

I'm totally around. We can meet on IRC or something when its convenient. 3 hr time difference is nothing I am always coordinating with people who are in gmt+6, 7 or 8. Thats a lot harder than being on the same continent :D

On my system, (Slackware 14.1, Nvidia 331.20) once the drivers are installed, all the settings are adjusted by the 'NVIDIA X Server Settings' GUI.

I don't usually have to mess with the Xrandr if I'm installing proprietary drivers.

However, this advice is so basic, I'm having a hard time believing you haven't already tried it!

Good Luck.

Back