• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

scwewing awound with my 280x cards

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
so, I got my used powercolor 280x cards and was redoing the tim on them, my first time at that.
the powercolor cards use no tim on the memory, see pic 2.
my asus card uses tim on the memory chips, see pic 1.
Earth dog, whom I trust, has stated that cooling the mems is no issue, searching the interwebs and reading stuff from others says the cooling the mems is not an issue.
my 290 cards sound like leaf blowers in a closed garage and i was thinking of water cooling them with the nzxt brackets which will not cool the memory your thoughts?

Attachments

• asus-7970dcuiitop-28-300x282.jpg
    asus-7970dcuiitop-28-300x282.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 113
  • PowerColor_Radeon_R9_280X_TurboDuo_OC_14.jpg
    PowerColor_Radeon_R9_280X_TurboDuo_OC_14.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 336
This is somewhat the same issue I had with a 7870 that used the thermal pads on the mems & VRs,(pic-1), but my current 7970/280X (pic-2) does not. Mems on new gen video cards don't really need that much cooling as they rarely get warm at all. A fan pointed towards them is more than enough.

E_D is right :thup:

You'll want direct heatsink contact to the VRMs. I don't believe the NZXT bracket provides that.

the nzxt bracket just holds a waterblock/ pump combo on the chip and a fan for the rest.

Right, I'm saying you'll need some form of heatsink on the VRM for that fan to do enough.

might the little, copper, finned heatsinks be enough?

anybody tried one of these?

Yeah, those should be plenty since there will be a fan on them.

might the little, copper, finned heatsinks be enough?

anybody tried one of these?
I used enzotech MOS-C1 VRM heatsinks on my old unlocked 6950. They were easy to cut with tin snips so I could get them below the accelero cooler's clearance height. They worked fine for the card - never had any issues with heat and still runs great last time I checked. No idea if they'd handle a 290/X's VRMs as well, though with active cooling they'd probably work fine.

Back