• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sata connector to 6pin cable.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

evothiele

Registered
Hello all. I am new to the world or custom pcs, well kinda I have been working on a build for some time now, but have only stalked the fourms. Untill now I have a question I can not find an answer for. I have a 6 port fan hub im trying to get set up and for power it relys on a sata power connection. All i can seem to find is 4 pin molex to sata and im looking for 6 pin atx to sata. Or atleast a wiring diagram for this particular project. I have tools and spare parts just no idea, how to wire it up. Any help on this task would be greatly appreciated

I don't understand your question... There is no 6 pin ATX. That doesn't exist. Are you talking about the EPS (4/8 pin) power connector for the motherboard? Or maybe PCIE power, which does have a 6 pin connector? In any case, the power delivered by that 6 pin PCIE connector and by a SATA connector are not the same thing, and no adapters exist. As far as I know the only thing SATA can be adapted to is MOLEX.

Do you not have any SATA power connectors on your power supply?? Pretty much any power supply from the past 10 years or so ought to have them, and if your power supply is over 10 years old it is definitely time to swap it out soon.

I have to say though that I really don't understand your question.. Are you 100% sure you have no SATA power connectors free from your power supply? I can't see it not having them...

I essentially need the same cable that came with my ax1200 power supply that has 3 or 4 sata power connections, that is used to power dvd dives, and hard drives. sorry im not really sure what the pin is called.( the one that plugs into a power supply.) ive heard pcie, atx, and others.

I essentially need the same cable that came with my ax1200 power supply that has 3 or 4 sata power connections, that is used to power dvd dives, and hard drives. sorry im not really sure what the pin is called.( the one that plugs into a power supply.) ive heard pcie, atx, and others.

I still don't understand your question...

If you've tapped out all the SATA connectors from your PSU, you're not going to be able to buy another PSU>SATA lead and plug it into your PSU. You can't plug a SATA PSU header into a PCIE/EPS/etc PSU plug. It won't work. And if it did work, you'd probably fry whatever you plugged into it.

But I still don't understand your question. Please try rephrasing your problem, with a start to finish explanation in a full paragraph.

THe only place you could get such a cable is from your power supply manufacturer (Corsair, Seasonic, XFX, etc etc)
How come you don't have the cable though? You have six connectors on the PSU which should mean you got 6 leads for it in the PSU box when you bought it. Probably 1-2 Molex and 4-5 SATA.

BTW the PSU connector end is not called ATX or PCIE or anything. It's just the modular connector for the SATA leads. Just because something has 6 pins or 8 pins does not make it EPS/PCIE/etc. Firewire and USB2 have almost identical pinouts, and people confuse those too, but they are not the same thing.

My psu came with 3 sata cables. One I use for the dvd drive, one for the ssd and hhds the third I destroyed teaching my self how to sleeve cables. I appreciate your imput as well as knowledge. I found one on ebay after going through 20 pages of "sata connector". $6.50 later it will be shipped and arrive soon.

Back