• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is my PSU really that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I can put 4.7Ghz easily on my chip. My chip does 5.0Ghz and been tested and proven. So yes I can technically do those numbers if I wanted too but I may not want to go over 4.9Ghz. I found my chip can push 360+watts overclocked. If a graphic card overclocked is pushing 300-400 watts overclocked. Imagine that? But look at it this way, as parts gets more advance I don't have to fork out money to power my rig later on. ;)

You're also talking about numbers at the wall, not what the PSU sees ;)

Your D14 won't sustain a 360W chip very long, it's just not built for it. You're looking more realistically at ~200W.
And unless you mod the BIOS you're limited to just over 300W for the GPU.

Again, this is assuming full load on all components. Which unless you're folding, mining, or benchmarking you'll never see.
Assume ~70% of TDP for gaming, video/photo editing, 3D CAD, etc.

that doesnt seem accurate, at 4.9ghz my 2500k + a 280x both overclocked barely pull 400w from the wall. running prime 95 and heaven highest settings

that doesnt seem accurate, at 4.9ghz my 2500k + a 280x both overclocked barely pull 400w from the wall. running prime 95 and heaven highest settings

You are comparing a 4 core to an actual 6 core. You will eat more power which you can see easily, even in many post running 850 will be cutting it closed. I want to be at 60-70% load at all times nothing over that if possible. However; I want the room there just in case I want to do other crazy stuff.

- - - Updated - - -

You're also talking about numbers at the wall, not what the PSU sees ;)

Your D14 won't sustain a 360W chip very long, it's just not built for it. You're looking more realistically at ~200W.
And unless you mod the BIOS you're limited to just over 300W for the GPU.

Again, this is assuming full load on all components. Which unless you're folding, mining, or benchmarking you'll never see.
Assume ~70% of TDP for gaming, video/photo editing, 3D CAD, etc.

You are right, the air cooler will not support that which is why I staying at 4.7Ghz until I get my water cool setup. XD

And when you get your WC you'll be looking at a system that's basically identical to EarthDog's. Which runs perfectly on the 750W G2.
Hence me saying an 850W G2 is overkill.

You are comparing a 4 core to an actual 6 core. You will eat more power which you can see easily, even in many post running 850 will be cutting it closed. I want to be at 60-70% load at all times nothing over that if possible. However; I want the room there just in case I want to do other crazy stuff.

i understand it will use more power but 360w+ on a sandy.... doubtful. id account for the extra two cores so about 50% more power usage -+. i wasnt trying to give a direct comparison just showing that my full overclocked system barely uses as much power as you are claiming your cpu to use.
your tdp with a 3.8ghz turbo is 130w. my 2500k is 95w with a 3.7ghz turbo.

i understand it will use more power but 360w+ on a sandy.... doubtful. id account for the extra two cores so about 50% more power usage -+. i wasnt trying to give a direct comparison just showing that my full overclocked system barely uses as much power as you are claiming your cpu to use.
your tdp with a 3.8ghz turbo is 130w. my 2500k is 95w with a 3.7ghz turbo.
Can't compare the two Wagex, 4c vs 6c with HT.

Can I ask you guys a question though? Is it a bad thing to get more than what you need?

Can't compare the two Wagex, 4c vs 6c with HT.

I WAS NOT DIRECTLY COMPARING THEM HOLY COW WOW SERIOUSLY?
not directly comparing them means... well.. not directly comparing.
95w tdp cpu overclcoked + 250w gpu overclocked = a single 3930k overclocked ok, im out of here see yall later

Can I ask you guys a question though? Is it a bad thing to get more than what you need?
Just for your wallet. That is why, in your other remarkably similar thread, we said you are already futureproofing by getting an 850W PSU. :)

I WAS NOT DIRECTLY COMPARING THEM HOLY COW WOW SERIOUSLY?
not directly comparing them means... well.. not directly comparing.
95w tdp cpu overclcoked + 250w gpu overclocked = a single 3930k overclocked ok, im out of here see yall later
LOL I know what you were saying Wagex but when you start pushing chips past stock clocks, especially when they have with more "cores/HT/Modules" they really start eating power. I wish I tested my 2500k at 5.0 to see what the power draw vs my 4770k at 5.0. I would bet the it is significantly higher. That all said I agree with Atmin that a 1000w Psu is overkill. Though, it's ITAngel's rig so he/she may do as they please with it.

Not really, Atmin is just trying to save you some cash.

When working the PSU calculator I put everything that I would normally have if I was to plan to push the system at 4.7Ghz and all the other stuff. It turns out that even the 1000watt will not work which I would require to have a 1200watt unit at best. XD so I removed the water cooling setup and one card which put me around 774 etc... Yes the 850watt will do me great right now but not in the long run if I plan to do anything fanzy with that system. Just saying.

By the way I use this site http://www.extreme.outervision.com/

When working the PSU calculator I put everything that I would normally have if I was to plan to push the system at 4.7Ghz and all the other stuff. It turns out that even the 1000watt will not work which I would require to have a 1200watt unit at best. XD so I removed the water cooling setup and it put me around 774 etc... Yes the 850watt will do me great right now but not in the long run if I plan to do anything fanzy with that system. Just saying.

PSU calculators over-size horrendously.

Why is feedback from experienced members from real-world usage not enough for you?

I am not saying that I don't trust experience people but this is the internet and everyone is an expert. lol I am just trying to be careful, using tools available to me and taking feedback from others to see were I stand. With that I also do even more research and figure out what my future will bring. For me I want to adventure into water cooling, CF eventually but not today. It just makes sense to protect many years with a PSU that might provide what I need later on than to cut myself short. *edited* I got the 1000w version for the same cost of the 850 so it was a no brainer to grab that unit instead.

Last edited:
Watercooling really doesn't add much... 50W. That is giving 20W for a pump running at full tilt (doesn't typically happen) and a total of 30W for fans.

CF? You mean Crossfire, right? 850W was plenty. And the trend for power use is the same or lower. If you could get that 1KW for the same price as the 850W G2 we mentioned and not get the 850W even cheaper, than the choice was obvious.

Really, all you had to do was say that you got it for the same cost as the 850W model as most people know its only money that is the difference for all intents and purposes.

Watercooling really doesn't add much... 50W. That is giving 20W for a pump running at full tilt (doesn't typically happen) and a total of 30W for fans.

CF? You mean Crossfire, right? 850W was plenty. And the trend for power use is the same or lower. If you could get that 1KW for the same price as the 850W G2 we mentioned and not get the 850W even cheaper, than the choice was obvious.

Really, all you had to do was say that you got it for the same cost as the 850W model as most people know its only money that is the difference for all intents and purposes.

Does it put me in the 80% range? Base on my math I am looking to be in the 80% range max known safe range which would mean that 950w 80% of 950w is 760w. Now in order to be at the range I want to be a 800w is 80% of 1000w. If I did that wrong let me know. By the way I understand what you are saying and I think that people can get away with the 850 but I am done cutting it close. I need more room to play if you know what I mean. I did edit that post base on what you said. Thanks!

Angel, I have no idea what your end game on hardware is going to be. Without recalling that (or looking in your other thread) I really can't answer that in this thread.

EDIT: I looked... 2 290x's...

It isn't until I run the 4930K @ 4.8GHz and overclock the 295x2 to 1020/1624 that I start to break 750W actual use (meaning not the value at the wall which has nothing to do with it). I am also on custom water with 6 total fans, 2 HDDs, 2 SSDs and a fan controller.

850W is fine for me as I leave the CPU at 4.2Ghz and the GPU at stock. With that setup I show around 600W at the wall. What is 'saving' you so to speak is the tremendous price on the 1KW unit (assuming you couldn't get the 850W for a tremendous amount lower). Can't go wrong there.

Yea, anyways I think that my decision was final on that 1000w unit versus the 850w. If 850w works for most that is awesome but I wanted the extra room so 1000w is what i will be sitting on unless I need to go higher later on. ;) Thanks again everyone for a good discussion in this thread. I might mod my case to make espresso too. LOL!

For the price you paid (assuming you could not have bought the 850 G2 at a lower price, say $100), I would have done the same. :)

Enjoy your PC!

Back