• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking [email protected] with [email protected] on ASUS Z97-DELUXE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SangWoo

Hello.

I am using G. SKILL 32GByte@2800MHz on ASUS Z97-DELUXE.

On web, I could easily find all BIOS settings(cpu/cache voltage/ VCCSA, and so on) for G SKILL 2400MHz with CPU(I7-4790K)@4.7GHz.

But, I hope to boost up my system to [email protected] with [email protected] on the same motherboard(Z97-DELUXE).

I heard that increasing clock speed of CPU will reduce the ability of IMC(Intergrated memory controller). (http://www.overclockers.com/3step-guide-to-overclock-intel-haswell/)

Please recommend the best motherboard settings in your experience.

Thank you.

Sorry. Can't help you. Not because we're jerks, but because you can not be helped. All we can do is point you to the Intel CPUs/Intel Ultimate Stickies/Haswell overclock guide. You're on your own after that unless you have a more specific question, such as, I unput the following settings, problem X is popping up, how do I solve it? Or something like that.

Nobody can give you settings to use because your CPU is not the same as any other 4790K that anybody here is going to have. ALL individual CPUs react differently when taken outside the envelope of performance they are designed for. While Intel can guarantee that every 4790K will do 4Ghz within a certain specified voltage range, they can not guarantee any sort of performance outside of the stock settings. The same goes for RAM. They guarantee that it'll work up to X speed, and above that, your luck and mileage will vary. You're not guaranteed 4.7Ghz, and you're not guaranteed 2800Mhz on the RAM. Your cooling solution(s) and sheer luck will be the main deciding factors.

Theocnoob has the goods.

I'll go this far though:

If you're running at 4.7 Ghz, your chip is good compared to averages. Without knowing the settings you've used or how you've tested it afterwards, we have no way of commenting on the quality of those settings. It would be sheer luck, exactly as Theocnoob said, that such settings worked on your particular CPU.

I'm guessing, but odds are that you've not reviewed your cooling against these settings under load. Without that knowledge you could actually endanger your chip.

Fortunately, RAM overclocking isn't all that productive. I say fortunately because if you find some disappointment in running at 2400 instead of 2800, I can say with certainty that you wouldn't see any difference in benchmarks or real world performance between those two speeds, and factually wouldn't see much beyond a barely measureable difference if the RAM were clocked at 1600.

There is no substitute, no short cut (well, I know of a couple that help a little, but they're still compliant with the general principles in the guides). You must read the guides, and study your own chip's performance with tests.

That said, you'll find in the guides that small boosts in certain voltage settings other than CPU Vcore can sometimes help reach higher RAM speeds, but what you did discover is correct; RAM speed can be compromised by the speed of the CPU, and 4 sticks are a little more difficult than 2.

Theocnoob has the goods.

I'll go this far though:

If you're running at 4.7 Ghz, your chip is good compared to averages. Without knowing the settings you've used or how you've tested it afterwards, we have no way of commenting on the quality of those settings. It would be sheer luck, exactly as Theocnoob said, that such settings worked on your particular CPU.

I'm guessing, but odds are that you've not reviewed your cooling against these settings under load. Without that knowledge you could actually endanger your chip.

Fortunately, RAM overclocking isn't all that productive. I say fortunately because if you find some disappointment in running at 2400 instead of 2800, I can say with certainty that you wouldn't see any difference in benchmarks or real world performance between those two speeds, and factually wouldn't see much beyond a barely measureable difference if the RAM were clocked at 1600.

There is no substitute, no short cut (well, I know of a couple that help a little, but they're still compliant with the general principles in the guides). You must read the guides, and study your own chip's performance with tests.

That said, you'll find in the guides that small boosts in certain voltage settings other than CPU Vcore can sometimes help reach higher RAM speeds, but what you did discover is correct; RAM speed can be compromised by the speed of the CPU, and 4 sticks are a little more difficult than 2.

He hasn't tried 4.7 yet, he just wants to:

"But, I hope to boost up my system to [email protected]"

Still not blue, eh? :p. One of these days!

. . . Fortunately, RAM overclocking isn't all that productive. I say fortunately because if you find some disappointment in running at 2400 instead of 2800, I can say with certainty that you wouldn't see any difference in benchmarks or real world performance between those two speeds, and factually wouldn't see much beyond a barely measureable difference if the RAM were clocked at 1600 . . .

This is the way it really is. There are no common applications that benefit from super high RAM frequencies or very low latencies. Only a very few tasks like heavy duty file compression will benefit. Spending money on super fast RAM is a waste of money for more common computing tasks. This has been tested and proved many times.

And I'm with Jason. I'd like to know how rigorously you tested the stability of that overclock. Around here, passing at least two hours of Prime95 blend is the accepted standard.

This is the way it really is. There are no common applications that benefit from super high RAM frequencies or very low latencies. Only a very few tasks like heavy duty file compression will benefit. Spending money on super fast RAM is a waste of money for more common computing tasks. This has been tested and proved many times.

And I'm with Jason. I'd like to know how rigorously you tested the stability of that overclock. Around here, passing at least two hours of Prime95 blend is the accepted standard.

He hasn't overclocked yet guys. At least not to 4.7. Read his post again.

He hasn't overclocked yet guys. At least not to 4.7. Read his post again.

I've read it again, and I swear, it's ambiguous.

What I read is that he's at 4.7 but the RAM is 2400, and he wants 2800....but, it's just as valid to say he's not at 4.7 either with that particular wording.

So, indeed - SangWoo, if you try the settings you've found we wouldn't expect them to actually work, and if they did they may not be optimum.

We need to know what cooling you have, because that generally limits what voltages you must avoid. If, for example, you had only the stock cooler, 4.7Ghz would be impossible.

First, though, we're all familiar with the guides and realize we first must see how the CPU responds to being set at lower overclocks, like 4.4Ghz, before we can proceed to speeds like 4.6 and upwards. A few chips need much less voltage, most chips demand too much to remain stable beyond 4.6 Ghz without high quality cooling.

The guides also cover the kind of monitoring and test software required to study the CPU as we push it forward.

RAM, as we've covered, shouldn't be a focus of attention. It is about the last thing any of us ever set. Most of us will test CPU overclocks with RAM set to 1333 Mhz, the stock speed of the platform design (even if we bought 2800), until we get the CPU tuned. Then we consider other things, with RAM being last.

Around here, passing at least two hours of Prime95 blend is the accepted standard.
I think you will find people all over the map at this site (and everywhere). For example, I'm a 4+ hour guy for my uses. Some swear by 24 hours (lol)... so, I don't think there is a standard per say.

Last edited:
^look through the haswell overclocking guide in E_Ds signature.

That will give you a starting point. As of now are you sitting at factory settings. Your first post isn't very clear.

What cooling do you have?
Do you have temperature monitoring software such as HWmonitor free?
Do you have a stability testing software such as Prime95, Aida 64 or intel burn test to test your OC?

Give us a little more details than just stating you would like to hit 4.7.

Back