• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SS radiator looks like it has a major problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Send back, as Metal states, call Ron and have him build you a monster

Replacing a condenser unless you are in the trade would be a daunting task.

You also would need to know what type of refrigerant was used for a repair

Assuming a good seal, they wouldn't even need to charge for more coolant. They would evacuate, make the repair, draw a vacuum & just put your coolant back in.

This +1

I wouldn't send back, not for how cheap you got it.
Compressors are MUCH cheaper than having one built. Even with labor.

Witchy, it's R404.

Disagree, you don't know definitively that is all that is wrong with it.

Money is one thing to consider, but value is as well

Ron's units are some of the best out, just ask anyone who does phase cooling

While they may seem high the value attached to them is undeniable

But if you make a repair 404 is reasonably priced refrigerant :)

Only have a minute but I'll give another look later.
I was right, an unused loop. So no leak there.
If it isn't turning over, either it is miswired, bad capacitor, bad overload protector, or bad compressor. If it's charged then the Schrader valves if depressed for a fraction of a second will hiss. Undercharged you can't tell.
Ron makes fantastic units. I do repairs and work as well by request but for most things I send out to Ron just because of how good his work is and my limited time as a resident physician these days.

Thanks for everyones help. Especially the resident SS guy here on the forum NoL:D JK aside that job must take up a big portion of time and I appreciate you looking over my stuff.

I will probably bring it into a guy I know that fixes ac units locally and tell him what I know about it and what it is used for. Hopefully he will be able to fix it appropriately. Then maybe I'll have one custom made down the line (with 2 heads:attn:) you never know. I'll update as this progresses now.

I must warn you that most AC guys won't touch it or won't be able to charge it. Basically without a loadtester it isn't possible just to "fill it until its full" on the other hand you could get it overcharged heavily and work down from there. (Or keep it overcharged)

Only have a minute but I'll give another look later.
I was right, an unused loop. So no leak there.
If it isn't turning over, either it is miswired, bad capacitor, bad overload protector, or bad compressor. If it's charged then the Schrader valves if depressed for a fraction of a second will hiss. Undercharged you can't tell.
Ron makes fantastic units. I do repairs and work as well by request but for most things I send out to Ron just because of how good his work is and my limited time as a resident physician these days.

I have a 300 watt load tester that I used when I built my SS. I loaned it to IMOG, but we could probably get it rounded up if you need it for tuning. I would peel off a bit of insulation and find one of the schrader valves so that you can find out if it has any charge, or not. A very quick push of the pin in the schrader will tell you. That will reduce much of the guessing.
I circled an area where one of the schrader valves is probably located. Peel off a bit of insulation, take off the cap, and quickly push on the center pin to see if gas leaks out, but try to minimize any escape of gas, if it does come out.

Does anyone know what gas is usually used in dimastech units? I see some saying r404, but the compressor says r407c.

devSS.jpg

That isn't the best picture but no shrader valve there :shrug: It is a cap. Might the valve be under it? If I loosen that and it was charged could it leak too much and freeze before I have time to close it?

IMG_20150214_155728[1].jpg

A Schrader valve is what's on a bicycle or car tire, for anything to leak you have to keep the pin inside depressed.

Well bless my cotton socks!! That thing has some definite hiss and much gas escaping when I depress the pin. Only did it for less than a second but I did it enough to be certain.

It's charged! Definitely no leaks!

Sounds like it's just the compressor!!
Did you try tapping it?

No tapping yet. I will try that in the morning. If that works I will be one happy camper. Already happy its charged/no leaks. I was off with my initial thoughts. It's looking better now.

Yeah, not having to chase a leak down is good. Hopefully the tapping works!

Fan works fine. I am using a PSU power cord as this thing came without, that a problem? Its a thick heavy cord for a Corsair TX750.

You said the compressor hummed but faintly, right?
Like the motor is trying to spin, but it can't?

^ Yup and yup.

^^ The starting capacitor seems like something I might be able to fix myself, maybe.

It's humming and getting hot, therefore it has power.
Capacitor doesn't seem like the issue here.

Back