• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SS radiator looks like it has a major problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devlos

Hello,

Where to start?? I bought a DimasTech rotary phase change. I am having problems with it... First when I got it I took one side panel off to clean out the packaging popcorn that was in it. I tried starting it and the evaporator head was not getting cold, the compressor was getting hot. After no more than 5 minutes I shut it off cause nothing changed. Then I heard that I should let it sit for 24hr because it was just shipped or maybe that the refrigerant has leaked out. So I waited till noon today and took the other side panel off that I had not taken off yet and found this

IMG_20150211_122909[1].jpg IMG_20150211_122855[1].jpg

That looks like a major problem to me! The refrigerant has most likely leaked out lol

So I'm asking what I can do about this? I might have damaged the compressor by trying to run it like this right?
Is that radiator repairable or would it need to be replaced? If it needs to be replaced then would this one work, it was sent WITH the SS and I couldn't understand why.

IMG_20150210_124928[1].jpg

It is G1/4 threaded. And 180.4 might be the same size as the on in the SS

The only other thing is that maybe it is supposed to be like that for some reason.

Those questions may not be able to be answered with just those pictures I know. I just want a little insight before I bring it in somewhere for repairs.

that looks like a loop for coolant making its rounds. I dont see why it couldnt be fixed. just would have to test to make sure its airtight once finished

I keep think its like that by design too. I see now how it could easily be fixed.. by someone with the tools. But it does make me feel better, not really that big of a deal.

You bought it and it's damaged. I'd send it back.

Ya this ^^^^
At least contact someone where you purchased It and let them know it's broken. You shelled out some good coinage for that and if it were me. I'd be livid

It was 127$ to have it shipped and to send it back would be the same. I think it can be repaired for a reasonable price and and me with the SS in the end. I am not too upset at this as it just gives me something to work on. I def did contact the seller and explain the problems and his response is.

Me
"Hello, I have a couple questions regarding this unit. Was this unit checked to see if it actually worked or not? There are some problems with it and it does not work. The radiator has a piece of tubing that is completely broken off and there is no refrigerant in the system at all. Did you ever use this cooler?"

Him
"Hey Brian, sorry you're having problems with the cooler. I did not know there were issues. An old employer gave me this cooler last year after he moved to a different system. He told me it worked still and what it was. I personally use a macbook so I never had any intention of using it, only to sell. I would certainly have posted it as needing repair had I known, it was a dumb assumption on my part. Believe me I had no intention to mislead or rip you off. Since it is a tenth of the original sale price I think it is still a pretty good deal, as the repairs will still be far cheaper than a new unit. Let me know if you have anymore questions or want a refund and I will happily work with you. I apologize again for any inconvenience."

I believed it and he offered a refund.

Me
"A refund is not my goal. I just wanted to see if you were aware of this is all. I am happy with it even with the repairs needed. I believe this was an honest mistake and you intended a good deal. And even with the repairs it definitely is a good deal. I will give you positive feedback and leave you with a warning to double check things in the future to avoid something like this from happening again. Take care and thanks again. Brian"

My goal is to have a working SS setup for benching. If it doesn't have to be completely rebuilt even better. I'm gonna read up some before I call anyone so I might know what they're talking about. Hopefully this will be working within a couple weeks.

Last edited:
It's not that spot. That's an excess loop of the coil that is not in the refrigerant loop. Most likely the condenser used had a flaw or leak, or had a split pipe, and this was the fix. It's normal variant.

EDIT: looking again I need more pictures of the entire system to give you a diagnosis.

Updated with more pictures.
Thanks!

And I kept thinking that it was like that for a reason too. I have a limited understanding of how these are supposed to work but I have the basics.

Merge dp if desired.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks like it's in remarkable condition for the price. Unfortunately to my untrained eye, nothing looks bad! Maybe NoL will see something.

I'm guessing the compressor is bad because IIRC you said it wasn't making much noise at all. I think they'll at least make some appreciable noise; if not noisy, they'll definitely let you know they're running. But again, I am very much out of my depth with these things.

Looks like the cut off tube was bypassed. See how the tube was moved down below it?

Very possible that when the tube was moved, the unit wasn't refilled.

It is in great shape aside from not running and the questionable condenser. The compressor is so quiet I have to stick my head close to it to hear anything, and it got quite hot. I haven't ran it since I got it though. The fans really quiet too but thats fine. I'm hoping the tubing was moved like that intentionally for now. We will see if NoL can get any insight from those new pictures hopefully. This thing has prob been sitting for a while before I got it if that means anything.

Sounds like the compressor is seized up. You should hear it running without putting your head close to it. Getting that hot that quickly also likely lends credence to that theory.

Yeah, the compressor should be loud and vibrate some. If it's not doing that, you need a new one

Or at least a rebuild

Maybe I can tap it with a rubber mallet lol. I am very familiar with wall unit air conditioners and what they sound like running, I'm thinking SS should sound somewhat like that minus the fans and maybe a little less noise. This thing was def too quiet and hot. If I tried to start it again now could I hurt it if it already broken (compressor) no harm in trying or I will cause more damage?

And if I have to replace it can I upgrade the cooling capacity with a better compressor?

This should sound exactly like that AC compressor, and works identically.

I had a single stage with a rotary compressor. Yours also has a rotary compressor. They're loud! As said above, just like a window AC unit. If it isn't loud, something is wrong. Good luck with it!

The good thing is compressors are cheap... just gotta find someone to replace it & recharge the system.

Assuming a good seal, they wouldn't even need to charge for more coolant. They would evacuate, make the repair, draw a vacuum & just put your coolant back in.

Back