• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Girls just wanna have fun with 5820k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LongSlenderBody

Registered
But the temp shoots up over 90 degrees as soon as I turn it on!

What am I doing wrong?

I think I'm in over my head, maybe I shouldn't have tried an x99 build.

The Water cooler fan and pump power is seated on headers, but maybe wrong ones, or pump isn't working..

How do I test the pump or troubleshoot this prob guys?

Can you feel the pump running?
If not, connect it directly to a power supply lead instead of a motherboard header.

Either waterblock is not mounted correctly, or there is thin clear plastic on waterblock that was not removed, or pump isnt working.

I would remount the waterblock (make sure there is no plastic cover on base), make sure the thermal interface material you used spread well, and make sure pump is working, you should be able to feel it vibrate by touching it when running....I would start with that.

Thanks guys, it turned out to be that I had the rear fan plugged into the PWR_FAN header and that stopped the pump from running. I had changed the headers I was using for the pump twice to no avail, but when I switched the rear fan one onto a SYS_FAN it immediately started working fine.

What a relief!! Now running at 35 degrees at 29 ambient, so, about right :)

Now to work out why my BIOS won't let give me my SSD as a boot option lol :mad:

1. I don't think the fan header would make much difference. Keep an eye on your pump as it might just be a coincidence that it started working after switching to a different header.

2. Some motherboards want the OS drive to be plugged into sata port 1 or 2. I'm not real familiar with EVGA boards, but it's a possibility.

Or you may just have to select the SSD from the HDD Boot list and then Select the SSD in the boot priority list.

Edit:

Looking at the BIOS screens now, it would appear that it should be available in the HDD pull down.

Yeah it sees it, it's in SATA 1, but I can't get it to show on the HDD boot list, only my optical and voice coil hard drive show

Have you tried a different SATA cable?
Have you tried another drive on that same port?
Have you tried the SSD on a different port?

Are you moving an existing Windows installation to your new system? That can be a real pain in the *** if it was installed UEFI with Secure Boot.

You can disable secure boot in BIOS, install/clone etc and enable secure boot if you really need it.

thanks for all of your suggestions, it helped. I now run the pump straight to a molex because it was sometimes not working through the headers on the mobo, no matter which I tried.

With the hard drives, I sorted the problem by hooking up an old drive, which I new was formatted as gdp, put windows on that, then formatted the other drives, went back to the bios, switching back from uefi to legacy, which then showed the drives in the 'boot' menu and installed windows onto the ssd. Bit of messing around, but thankfully it is done.

I'm just waiting on a pair of powerline adapters so I can connect to the net and start benching and overclocking!! So excited!!

thanks for all of your suggestions, it helped. I now run the pump straight to a molex because it was sometimes not working through the headers on the mobo, no matter which I tried.

With the hard drives, I sorted the problem by hooking up an old drive, which I new was formatted as gdp, put windows on that, then formatted the other drives, went back to the bios, switching back from uefi to legacy, which then showed the drives in the 'boot' menu and installed windows onto the ssd. Bit of messing around, but thankfully it is done.

I'm just waiting on a pair of powerline adapters so I can connect to the net and start benching and overclocking!! So excited!!

You installed the OS in UEFI mode then switched the controller to legacy mode? AFAIK that can cause issues down the road.

Yeah, I installed the OS onto an old drive in UEFI just so I could format the drives, then like I mentioned I switched back to legacy to install windows onto the SSD :)

Back