• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD is slipping. A cost and benefit conversation.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Theocnoob

There was a time when AMD and Intel were neck and neck, back in the 486 days. Then, for a while, several years later, in the hey day of single cores, AMD pulled ahead. And for awhile you could get 1Ghz AMD chips that were just as fast as 1.4Ghz Intel chips. Things were good. Competition was real, and chip prices were kept in check accordingly.

Ever since the end of the original FX chips, though, AMD has been lagging behind. When Intel came out with Conroe, AMD was effectively left in the dust. With chips becoming more and more complex to design and manufacture, and more and more challenges popping up as we increase miniaturization, AMD has been falling further and further behind.

Case in point- Intel puts out new chips every year or so (2014 being an exception on the mainstream front, though we did get X99 on the enthusiast side) and they always have an increase in performance per clock. Sometimes it's huge (Pentium D to C2D, C2Q to i7, i7 1st gen to i7 2nd gen) and sometimes it's minor (Ivybridge to Haswell), but Intel never puts out a new CPU that's worse than their previous CPU, or "the same". There is always improvement.

Let's compare that with AMD, who haven't been able to improve over the per-core performance of Phenom II. Now we have Intel releasing 14nm chips while AMD is still selling 32nm chips.

This situation is tragic, sad, and frightening. What happens when AMD goes from their current position of slightly laughable competition to a future position of no competition whatsoever? What will happen to us as end users? I predict that the AMD exodus will continue. Tons more people than already have made the switch will come over from AMD to Intel. Eventually AMD will be left with almost no market share. Prices for Intel parts will go up, because people will have no viable alternative to Intel, and we will all suffer.

I foresee AMD not only bowing out of the enthusiast market where they currently have their FX processors, but also out of the entry level market where they have their APUs. Intel iGPUs are getting better all the time. What happens when they meet or exceed what you can get out of an AMD APU? Surely, if Pentium G3258's had the same graphical prowess as an A10, A10's would stop selling.

So we will end up with AMD being exclusively a graphics company, and thank goodness for their purchase of ATi, or they wouldn't even have that to fall back on. There will never be another genuine competitor to intel. At least not until RISC stuff gets super advanced and starts to eat the X86 market, and that's a ways off.

Is anybody else worried about AMD's mediocrity leading to their ultimate demise, and what that will mean for us Intel people?

I foresee AMD not only bowing out of the enthusiast market where they currently have their FX processors, but also out of the entry level market where they have their APUs
they did already, they announced that they were done with the enthusiast market like two years ago iirc.
since then they have been beating the latest fx horse getting what they can out of it.

This has been discussed to death for the last 5 years at least.
Doesn't it get cramped under that rock?

This has been discussed to death for the last 5 years at least.
Yes. And brought back out, dusted off, beaten like the dead horse it has been for X years. People get upset because their favorite [insert brand here] gets beat on, so they lash out, get infracted, rinse and repeat.

I'm hopeful this doesn't go that way as the thread was already brought to my attention via PM from another member...but, not betting on it.

Be nice people... carry on. Facts, nothing personal. :)

There was a time when AMD and Intel were neck and neck, back in the 486 days. Then, for a while, several years later, in the hey day of single cores, AMD pulled ahead. And for awhile you could get 1Ghz AMD chips that were just as fast as 1.4Ghz Intel chips. Things were good. Competition was real, and chip prices were kept in check accordingly.

Ever since the end of the original FX chips, though, AMD has been lagging behind. When Intel came out with Conroe, AMD was effectively left in the dust. With chips becoming more and more complex to design and manufacture, and more and more challenges popping up as we increase miniaturization, AMD has been falling further and further behind.

Case in point- Intel puts out new chips every year or so (2014 being an exception on the mainstream front, though we did get X99 on the enthusiast side) and they always have an increase in performance per clock. Sometimes it's huge (Pentium D to C2D, C2Q to i7, i7 1st gen to i7 2nd gen) and sometimes it's minor (Ivybridge to Haswell), but Intel never puts out a new CPU that's worse than their previous CPU, or "the same". There is always improvement.

Let's compare that with AMD, who haven't been able to improve over the per-core performance of Phenom II. Now we have Intel releasing 14nm chips while AMD is still selling 32nm chips.

This situation is tragic, sad, and frightening. What happens when AMD goes from their current position of slightly laughable competition to a future position of no competition whatsoever? What will happen to us as end users? I predict that the AMD exodus will continue. Tons more people than already have made the switch will come over from AMD to Intel. Eventually AMD will be left with almost no market share. Prices for Intel parts will go up, because people will have no viable alternative to Intel, and we will all suffer.

I foresee AMD not only bowing out of the enthusiast market where they currently have their FX processors, but also out of the entry level market where they have their APUs. Intel iGPUs are getting better all the time. What happens when they meet or exceed what you can get out of an AMD APU? Surely, if Pentium G3258's had the same graphical prowess as an A10, A10's would stop selling.

So we will end up with AMD being exclusively a graphics company, and thank goodness for their purchase of ATi, or they wouldn't even have that to fall back on. There will never be another genuine competitor to intel. At least not until RISC stuff gets super advanced and starts to eat the X86 market, and that's a ways off.

Is anybody else worried about AMD's mediocrity leading to their ultimate demise, and what that will mean for us Intel people?

Preach to the choir much? This is news to you? You don't get out very much do you?

Nothing to reignite, unless AMD is being very good about keeping a new CPU secret, nothing new is coming out in the foreseeable future. It's bad for us the enthusiast because Intel can release chips that are only slightly better then the previous generation and people will buy them because that is all there is. They do not have to be competitive because there is no one to compete with.

As far as the Apu's go, if Intel feels that there is any real money to be made there. They will surely be able to produce chips that are equal to better then the Apu's AMD has.

The whole situation is..... depressing. :(

I still consider myself an AMD fan. I'm running an i5 in my main rig... and most of my possible future builds will all be blue. :cry:

:facepalm:

This has been beaten to death

AMD or Intel, who cares already

Buy what you want to buy, there are legit reasons to look at both companies when choosing a CPU depending on what you plan to use it for.

Last few client builds I have done have been AMD and for good reason , It just made sense

So you freely admit that this thread was nothing but flame bait.

I never even considered the possibility of it being flamebait. Why can't a group of adults have a discussion?
It's not like the outcome will kill us. If AMD stops making CPUs, we're not going to get cancer and die.

The convo, as you can see, has been civil so far. If people don't want to talk about this any more, don't reply to the thread, and let it die.
I didn't see anything wrong with bringing the convo back up, even though it's been covered before in the CPU section.

I never even considered the possibility of it being flamebait. Why can't a group of adults have a discussion?
It's not like the outcome will kill us. If AMD stops making CPUs, we're not going to get cancer and die.

The convo, as you can see, has been civil so far. If people don't want to talk about this any more, don't reply to the thread, and let it die.
I didn't see anything wrong with bringing the convo back up, even though it's been covered before in the CPU section.

My problem is that this has been beaten to death. There is nothing constructive to discuss. Why make a thread in which you clearly already know the answer to?

dunno what there is to discuss as i said earlier AMD is out of the enthusiast cpu market already, nothing new coming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-cpu-apu-processors,15741.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/195355/vishera-end-of-the-line-for-amd-fx-cpus-roadmap.html
http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/AMD-will-not-chase-Intel-making-needlessly-powerful-CPUs

intel's cpu prices havent changed yet. i really doubt they would skyrocket prices due to lack of competition, could they? sure. will they? doubt it.

dunno what there is to discuss as i said earlier AMD is out of the enthusiast cpu market already, nothing new coming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-intel-cpu-apu-processors,15741.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/195355/vishera-end-of-the-line-for-amd-fx-cpus-roadmap.html
http://www.pcper.com/news/Editorial/AMD-will-not-chase-Intel-making-needlessly-powerful-CPUs

intel's cpu prices havent changed yet. i really doubt they would skyrocket prices due to lack of competition, could they? sure. will they? doubt it.

It would be self defeating raising their already jacked-up prices. People would just put off buying new cpu's. OEM's already have razor thin margins so pc sales would be hurt also. In the past few months I bought a A10-7850K, a 6300, a 8320, a A10-5800K, A10-6800K. I enjoy tinkering so I rather buy a few cheaper cpu's for fun than a couple high-end i7's.

Back