• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I test for the VRAM 3.5 Issue?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ITAngel

Hey guys, what program can I use to test the VRAM issue that people reporting with the 970 cards? Thanks!

This whole VRAM thing is scaring me. lol I am debating if I should open it up and test it or just return it unopened back to Amazon. People are hitting me up with this VRAM stuff and even though people are saying that I think don't really know if I should boder testing it and deciding for myself after the fact or just returning it and order a 290X Lightning Edition. I hope I don't have to return it since is a 3 day weekend for me to play. XD Does the 980 suffer from that?

Won't be an issue. I'm hitting 3.9 - 4 GB usage in AC unity @ 1440P and not seeing any issues. I honestly don't know what people are talking about.

That said, Amazon will still return it after you've opened it if you're not satisfied.

Won't be an issue. I'm hitting 3.9 - 4 GB usage in AC unity @ 1440P and not seeing any issues. I honestly don't know what people are talking about.

That said, Amazon will still return it after you've opened it if you're not satisfied.

This +1

And no, this doesn't occur with the 980.
Although, I haven't seen anyone actually reporting issues other than people saying "omg the sky is falling"

LOL! Okay thanks I will test it tonight and see how the card runs. If it runs fine then no need to worried. lol I feel that one person mention this and everyone is now jumping ship. If no one would had discover it maybe no one would have notice except those modding the heck out of games and running huge resolution which in my opinion would require a super card. lol

It's definitely been blown way out of proportion. The specs were absolutely misrepresented, but I am skeptical of whether there is even a performance hit in any game.

I think it boils down to:

1) Nvidia being the "evil big dog" corporation that everyone wants something like this to happen to.

2) the specs being misrepresented

3) a lot of games at 1440p coincidentally maxing out at 3.5GB vram usage (on any card)

4) people expecting more than they should out of the 970 at resolutions above 1080P

The card will flat out destroy any game at 1080P. At 1440P, there are probably 4-5 games where you may have to turn down a setting or two to keep FPS in an acceptable range. Resolutions above that, even the 980 is going to struggle.

Driver age is another thing to consider. It's a relatively young card, so you're going to have hiccups and there are going to be performance improvements (the most recent driver update - xxx.25 -> xxx.57 - increased performance 5-10% across a number of games).

It's a great performer, runs cool and quiet, and overclocks by 20% pretty easily. The only question in my mind, is should I buy two :D

Last edited:
Why is this in the classifieds section, by the way?! lol

I completely missed that on my phone

Why is this in the classifieds section, by the way?! lol

I completely missed that on my phone

Wow I did notice it was in the wrong section. I am not sure if I started it here by mistake maybe a moderator can move it to the NVIDIA section please. Thanks In Advance!

So far testing with all the games I have and seem to be working okay. I think my case fans are louder than the video card. lol

Part of the reason I like EVGA's ACX 2.0 cooler so much :)

i see, I did a system fan adjustment and even put it on energy save mode and I hear my fans. I might need to buy new fans for my case. Which do you recommend that are quite but still put good amount of air in?

Noctua fans are the consensus "quietest/cooling capacity" option.

They are pricey, though. What type do you have currently?

You should be able to relocate the thread. Top right, under "thread tools" or something along those lines

Noctua fans are the consensus "quietest/cooling capacity" option.

They are pricey, though. What type do you have currently?

You should be able to relocate the thread. Top right, under "thread tools" or something along those lines

Can't move the Thread no feature under Thread Tool.

As far as the fans go on the CPU Noctua default fans D14. I would love to get a few for my PC case but need to find some quiet with high air flow.

A moderator already moved it days ago. Look up at the top to see what section its in...

Members can only move their threads from the classifieds section to SOLD. Otherwise, members can't move it.

Someone reported the thread to be moved and we got it.

A moderator already moved it days ago. Look up at the top to see what section its in...

Members can only move their threads from the classifieds section to SOLD. Otherwise, members can't move it.

Oh okay cool, Thanks!

Gotcha. I guess I've only done it in that scenario now that I think about it :thup:

Back