• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7870 AMD FAH questions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Audioaficionado

Sparkomatic Moderator
I've got two PCs to set up with these cards for GPU FAH.

If I run both cards in one machine, what size power supply will I need?

One is an existing Win7 install with an nVidia card and the other will be a fresh install so existing drivers won't be an issue.

What's the best client and driver and OS to use?

Also any good threads on this subject.

@ torin3, thanx brotha :thup:

150 watts each on full power, plus 200 for the machine itself, so the minimum would be 500 watts, but you would want 750w to stay in a reasonable part of the power efficiency curve.

7.4.4 (current download for windows from Stanford) for client.
14.9 Catalyst drivers.
I haven't seen anything that shows better for either win 7 or 8. However if you want to use the 14.9 drivers on Vista, you've got to hack the drivers. I wouldn't recommend it if you have a choice.
Can't use AMD cards with Linux at this time.

My only use for Vista is as coasters for my Double Gulp cups :rofl:

What's the best way to completely clear out old drivers?

So tell me if this is right:

1. Shut down PC.

2. install cards

3. install drivers

4. install FAH

5. configure during the installation

I don't plan in running both SMP and GPU. Just the GPU.

I used Treexy Driver Fusion to downgrade from Omega drivers recently, worked for me. Apparantly this software was more famous on previous editions that didn't nag you so much to get tge Pro edition, but it worked fine for me on several machines and Windows versions.

AMD Catalyst 14.9 WHQL

The latest WHQL or best one for GPU FAH?

I saw higher #s, but looked like beta.

I should be able to run both with my Q6600 processor (not running SMP_FAH) and both 7870 cards with my PCP&C 600W PS (pre OCZ). I'll have to upgrade later I suppose.

I know this: Do NOT install Omega drivers yet, amd-catalyst-14.11.2beta-64bit-win8.1-win7-nov19 is what I downgraded to with great success.

Back