• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My new PC is freezing!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

onix

Registered
I built my pc 2 days ago, but it is freezing in random time. I dont know what is the cause. My configuration is:

MB: Sabertooth 990fx r2.0
CPU: fx 9590
GPU: radeon r9 290x (HIS)
RAM: 2x8gb RAM (HyperX Fury 1866Hz)
Corsair HX1000i (power supply 1000w)
watercooler: corsair H105
HD 1TB
Windows 8.1 pro

TEST THAT I ALREADY DID

I tried test with and without GPU driver. In that situation, i have the same result: freezing
I tried change the RAM memory slot and/or use only one memory. Result: freezing
I didnt install the motherboard driver (chipset driver??). I didnt it, because the windows detected the most recent driver.
I checked the temperature of MB, processor and GPU. But the MB didnt pass 36c. the CPU max was 50c. the GPU max temperature was 42c (idle) and 76c (in the witcher 2, ultra)
when i try to play the witcher 2, the pc freezes under 2 min. When i open the youtube video, the pc freezes in 15-30min. when the pc is idle, it freezes in random time.

IMPORTANTS OBSERVATIONS

Maybe, i forgot the plug some important cable? Poor quality of cable? Hardware problem?
When the pc freezes, nothing works: mouse, keyboard and doesnt have any noise.

Can anyone have any solution? Or anyone know the cause of those freezings?

PS: i saw much problem related about sabertooth 990fx r2.0 and fx9590, but i didnt find any solution or if that problem was resolved.

Update 1
I tested with GeForce 240GT. I had a same problem. The pc frozen. It was under 2min after initialization.
Im using the tower opened in order to test. Im using only default FANs. 1 back, 2 in HDs and 2 top (Watercooler FANs)

Update 2
Solution: i reseted the CMOS

Last edited:
Are you getting any BSODs?

When are you getting those temperatures?
We need to know the load you're running when you do the temp check.

What case? Can you get some pictures of the inside?
How many fans? What kind and where?

Do you have any other RAM you can test?

Are you getting any BSODs?

When are you getting those temperatures?
We need to know the load you're running when you do the temp check.

How many fans? What kind and where?

Do you have any other RAM you can test?

I am not getting BSODs. The pc only freezes. Stop images, sound, everything stops.
The temperature im getting in BIOS, after my hard reset (when the PC freezes). And the GPU temperature i check in catalyst manager.
What pictures? BIOS picture? Hardware picture?

About FANs, im using only default fans in the tower. But, im using the PC opened in order to test.
unfortunately, i dont have another RAMs and my friends only use Notebooks.

PS: I tested another GPU. GeForce GT240. I had same problem. The pc frozen. Maybe it isnt the GPU problem.

I am not getting BSODs. The pc only freezes. Stop images, sound, everything stops.
The temperature im getting in BIOS, after my hard reset (when the PC freezes). And the GPU temperature i check in catalyst manager.
What pictures? BIOS picture? Hardware picture?

About FANs, im using only default fans in the tower. But, im using the PC opened in order to test.
unfortunately, i dont have another RAMs and my friends only use Notebooks.

PS: I tested another GPU. GeForce GT240. I had same problem. The pc frozen. Maybe it isnt the GPU problem.

You're getting 50°C on the CPU in the BIOS?! :eek:
The problem is that you're overheating the CPU and its crashing.

You're going to have to underclock the CPU to keep it from overheating with your cooling.

Again I'll ask:
How many fans? Where?

You're getting 50°C on the CPU in the BIOS?! :eek:
The problem is that you're overheating the CPU and its crashing.

You're going to have to underclock the CPU to keep it from overheating with your cooling.

Again I'll ask:
How many fans? Where?

Sorry, the 50c on BIOS was after 3hours idle (running youtube video - the PC crashed in 30min, but i slept early XD). In the first minutes, the CPUs temperature is about 36c.

Sorry, the 50c on BIOS was after 3hours idle (running youtube video - the PC crashed in 30min, but i slept early XD). In the first minutes, the CPUs temperature is about 36c.

That's still WAY too hot for being in BIOS!

Please, answer my questions. They are very relevant.

That's still WAY too hot for being in BIOS!

Please, answer my questions. They are very relevant.

My case is Corsair Vengeance C70 Black USB 3.0/Aud.
Im using 1 FAN in back, 2 on HD, 2 top (watercooler FANs)

Should i use more thermal paste? How much should i use?
The picture of inside:
GPU.jpg HD FAN.jpg Power.jpg pc.jpg

Your front fans are doing nothing but feeding your vid card. The rest of the flow is trapped below the card. Your top fans would probably be better used as intakes through the rad. Just my 2 pennies.

When exactly is the PC freezing? Is it just while watching You tube videos?
Download Hwmonitor "non pro", Cpu-Z and Prime 95. Open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 blend for 20 minutes. If the Cpu temp goes above 70 or the package temp above 62 stop the test. Then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here, additionally post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. I suspect it's another set of Kingston ram not playing nice with an AMD chip.

With a temp of 50c in the bios, I suspect heat.
Hardlocks with no BSOD are usually temp or power related.

With a temp of 50c in the bios, I suspect heat.
Hardlocks with no BSOD are usually temp or power related.
I don't think it was an accurate statement by the OP Scotty, it's doubtful that the rig would even be able to load a game, never mind play it if the BIOS temp was 50c to start?!?!

It freezes in under two minutes in game, I wouldn't say it "runs"

Download Hwmonitor "non pro", Cpu-Z and Prime 95. Open Hwmonitor and run prime 95 blend for 20 minutes. If the Cpu temp goes above 70 or the package temp above 62 stop the test. Then post a screen shot of Hwmonitor here, additionally post screen shots of the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Spd and Memory. I suspect it's another set of Kingston ram not playing nice with an AMD chip.

The freezing happens when im using the Windows. But, if i use a heavy software (game) its freeze faster.

I will download those softwares now.

Guys, i tried to donwload Hwmonitor, cpu-z and prime 95. But my PC is freezing under 2-3min. It became unable. I opened the BIOS in order to see the temperature it shows 42c (CPU) and 35c (MB).

I will try more times.

You need to underclock that CPU. Your AIO is just alright, it can't keep the 9590 cool enough for it to function properly.

Ok. I did to use some programs. I didnt use Prime 95 becase when i started it. the pc frozen. So, first, i will show the result of HWmonitor and CPU-Z. The print of spd and monitor is when the PC frozen. I should say that the pc is freezing under 3 min while idle, now.

CPU-CPUZ.jpg MEMO-cpuz.jpg monitor1.jpg monitor2.jpg spd-cpuz.jpg

You're overclocked besides? Clear the CMOS on that right now.

This +1. Load optimized defaults right now.

Also, you're at 45°C AT IDLE!!!
Turn off turbo and slow that thing down!
Heat can and will damage a system, and if you're locking it up this much from heat you're getting it way too hot.

Back