• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with upgrade Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

My specs are below and I am looking to upgrade for about $250 bucks and would like some help please..
I don't mind buying used parts and I mostly use this for gaming and basic stuff..

Thanks

What is the rig used for? Other then getting a SSD I feel your best bet is to save up some more and do a total upgrade.

What is the rig used for? Other then getting a SSD I feel your best bet is to save up some more and do a total upgrade.
I mostly game and I am looking to play Dying Light or newer games with a single 25" monitor .. My plan was to upgrade the cpu to a AMD 965 BE and look into a better video card and with more DDR3 memory and keep the rest the same I hope ??
Do you have any suggestions??

I mostly game and I am looking to play Dying Light or newer games with a single 25" monitor .. My plan was to upgrade the cpu to a AMD 965 BE and look into a better video card and with more DDR3 memory and keep the rest the same I hope ??
Do you have any suggestions??
Size of the monitor doesn't mean much, it's the resolution played at. If you really want to just stick with the setup you have, I feel the AMD Phenom 955 Be is the better buy over the 965. From my experience the 965's run hotter and if you Oc the 955 on Air they will both top out round the same Oc. Problem is you're probably going to spend $50-$75.00 on the Cpu, used, so you have $175-200 for a Gpu/memory. After you are said and done you're still going to be running pretty old architecture, as far as the mobo and cpu are concerned.

If you go used, I feel you should stay away from AMD gpu's, most on the market were likely used for mining.

Anything below first get i7 in performance is not worth upgrading. It's time to take Old Yeller out back and shoot him. :(

I think you're best off saving up a few hundred bucks so you can get CPU/RAM/GPU. Something like a GTX 970, or whatever is the upper midrange card at the time you upgrade, an i5, and at least 2X4GB of RAM.
If you aren't going to be buying for several months, the 5690K should be out by the time you upgrade along with socket 1151 boards.

AMD is pretty dead for high end gaming, and although you could go to something like an FX 8350, I don't suggest that you do as the per-core performance and IPC are about on par with your Phenom II. You want an i5.

Last edited:
Update Time ..

I picked up a Amd 965 and working on getting a used 280X right now.. I was looking at pick up the FX8320 with a Msi 97 gaming MB but I wasn't sure it would be a worthy upgrade ?? Whats your thoughts ???

Update Time ..

I picked up a Amd 965 and working on getting a used 280X right now.. I was looking at pick up the FX8320 with a Msi 97 gaming MB but I wasn't sure it would be a worthy upgrade ?? Whats your thoughts ???
See post #5

Look I understand what you guys are saying but right now my family is more important and my budget is my budget.. I was looking into buy intel cpu but the best I could do would be a i5 2500k chip with a cheap MB but wasn't sure if I would be better off with the Fx-8320???

Look I understand what you guys are saying but right now my family is more important and my budget is my budget.. I was looking into buy intel cpu but the best I could do would be a i5 2500k chip with a cheap MB but wasn't sure if I would be better off with the Fx-8320???

I play dying light on high at 1080p with my setup. It definitely could use a better cpu, and if i didnt overclock my gpu i wouldnt be as happy with it. That game isnt optimized for pc, takes quite a rig to play high 60+ fps average.

well if you get the 280x you will be much better off than you were.

if you have anything left look at adding to your memory

4GB just does not cut it for gaming these days , another 4GB you will be good to go

the 280x / 7970 is still viable as long as you are good with making some sacrifices on the settings , assuming you are 1920x1080

Update Time ..

You upgraded the number or cores, and that was about it with that move. It should help, but I would have rather grabbed the 2500K setup personally as it is faster per clock than the 965. That would have left less for other things though.

As witchy said a 280x will be a lot faster than a 4870, but in some titles, you may be hurting with only 4GB of ram.

You upgraded the number or cores, and that was about it with that move. It should help, but I would have rather grabbed the 2500K setup personally as it is faster per clock than the 965. That would have left less for other things though.

That's exactly what I was going to say. 2500K is a newer and vastly superior CPU to a X4 Phenom II.

Overclock your Phenom II quad core as far as possible and add 4GB more of RAM.

Back