• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Wiring

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jackwebb1970

Registered
Is Their Any way to wire a three pin Fan so the lights go on and off. I know I need a switch but which of the three do I cut and wire to the switch or do I need a four pin fan

You don't, in a 3 wire fan there is ground wire, 12V wire and a tach wire to sense fan speed, best bet is to get a LED fan with a switch already on it.

The fans were wired with separate power plugs so they could be turned on and off separately. Most LED fans I've seen are wired up to the fan power inside the fan motor housing. It's not that you can't do it, it's that it would be very difficult. Knowing what fans they are and seeing a picture of them might help more. I've seen fans where the LEDs are placed on the outer ring of the fan housing with exposed wiring that would be easy enough to cut and rewire for a switch.

d14sh-124b_02.jpg

If you look closely you see a really small red and black wire running along each of the 4 support legs to eh LEDs in the 4 corners of the fan housing, these would be the wires you would want to cut to rewire the LED separately from the fan. This is just an example, companies use different colored wiring for different things. Cut at your own risk!

Thanks for the help all of you going in a new direction because this one looks like a bi*** and a half to figure out and I could do this with cheaper Fans (Comparatively) and LED strips which would be much much easier to wire that this so thanks again and hope to help you guys in the future

Thanks for the help all of you going in a new direction because this one looks like a bi*** and a half to figure out and I could do this with cheaper Fans (Comparatively) and LED strips which would be much much easier to wire that this so thanks again and hope to help you guys in the future

Best bet is get a LED fan with a switch on it, then you don't have the hassle of putting a switch in it.

Back