• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 390X reference card will ship with AIO cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It is unfortunate that this chip will require this type of cooling for stock clocks.

It will be interesting to see what the high end cards such as Lightnings and Vapors are going to use

It makes me wonder what kind of head room will be available in an ambient environment, or will these cards require sub-ambient to really shine

It is unfortunate that this chip will require this type of cooling for stock clocks.

It will be interesting to see what the high end cards such as Lightnings and Vapors are going to use

It makes me wonder what kind of head room will be available in an ambient environment, or will these cards require sub-ambient to really shine
The Lightnings and Vapors will be shipped with Phase change Witchy DUH?!?! :escape::chair: :D

Really wish AMD would address these questions openly instead of just waiting till the last minute and either letting everyone down or relieving everyone.

The whole cloak and daggers routine doesn't exactly yield them more sales anyway.

Huge delay ... again, and their 300W+ cards will appear on the market just before GTX980Ti/new Titan premiere and will be smashed by Nvidia again. Every generation is the same, AMD is on the lead for 1-2 months and that's all.
Most interesting for me is max wattage after OC/overvoltage. 300W will be stock so with similar scalling to 290X it will probably pass 450W and will overload every ss cooling. My 300W+ unit was giving up while overclocking 7970 and it wasn't so bad as new cards.

People, please try to be accurate with W matters, card only or whole system, can become confusing. Usually card only is measured which is no problem with todays technology.

I think AMD Radeon will stay a volcano spec, means lot of heat and power but at least they should be able to stay head to head with Nvidia in term of performance and best of all... REAL RAM amount with REAL RAM INTERFACE (no dirty tricks, so it works properly even on RAM hog games). On top of that, Nvidia surely got a 250 W TDP card, a fully unlocked Maxwell, ready somewhere hidden in a lab probably with the name 980TI. Nvidia would be stupid if they dont do it, although Nvidia fans should be aware that they may never get true enthusiast grade... forget it. Nvidia will simply beat a Radeon and thats it, every peformance that will exceed this target is here in order to reduce manufacturing costs, but it may not be handed over to the customers im afraid.

I don't think anyone actually thinks about 300W total PC wattage mentioning high end AMD cards ... or maybe not in last 10 years :D

Well you was bringing up 450W thats beefy stuff, dunno how high you are clocking the stuff but for a standart OC on a single card seems a lot of juice.

In term of quad CF such a build may need either 2x1200W PSU or a single PSU that is bigger than any consumer PSU currently available. In the US a usual house wiring can not put out more than around 2000W on a single wire so any PSU bigger than 1200W-1500W is pretty much nonsense. But in the EU a house wiring can indeed put out way more than that so the V is indeed a matter even if many people think it doesnt matter at all because it can allow for higher current without melting the cables. Anyway, i dont think its that worse and a single 1500W+ PSU might do the trick without breaking down a low volt house wiring.

Last edited:
Well you was bringing up 450W thats beefy stuff, dunno how high you are clocking the stuff but for a standart OC on a single card seems a lot of juice.

he was benching on a cascade unit probably overclocking really high.

Woomack is benchmarking on sub-ambient.
450W is pretty easy for a 290X at that kind of load.

All of the discussion has been for GPU only power draw.

Well OK but thats a extreme case, not the usual condition and he clearly have to state it, its not a 24/7 OC.

Well OK but thats a extreme case, not the usual condition and he clearly have to state it, its not a 24/7 OC.

He did clearly state it..............
He said "my SS cooling". That's single stage phase change. I don't know how much more clear he could have said it.

Needless to say, ambient or sub ambient this card is going to be a hog.

Question is will it bring enough performance to justify it's power usage.

For gaming I would not even consider this card being the vVidia cards are so efficient.

This is clearly a benching card, it probably will be good for a few benches such as 03, 11 and Heaven.

Needless to say, ambient or sub ambient this card is going to be a hog.

Question is will it bring enough performance to justify it's power usage.

For gaming I would not even consider this card being the vVidia cards are so efficient.

This is clearly a benching card, it probably will be good for a few benches such as 03, 11 and Heaven.

Bingo. Why run a 300W 390X when you can run two 160W 980's?
Or, two 140W 970's.

I can say with 99% certainty that either SLI config would outperform one 390X.

Anyway, more interesting to know if we now truly may get a stacked HBM. Not the first time having such a advertisement because i am pretty certain Nvidia made such a (official?) announcement once with the release of Maxwell but finally it was not used at all and even worse... they even used some cutted down memory interface on the 970, simply worst case scenario. I think AMD, especially with the new CEO which is pretty innovative, could be the first truly releasing such a spec and we may see the HBM for the first time ever, it surely is a interesting new technology and not just "hot air". If it will truly become true who knows but i think the chance is realistic this time, at least on the high end model. If so, it may allow for better cooling because it can be easyer to pick up the heat and transfering it to the sink. Nowadays a big issue with the small nm technologys is that the density is so insane that the cooling of such stuff is becoming more difficult than many old processors with higher TDP (990X for example was easyer to cool down than a 4 core Ivy Bridge but Ivy Bridge is way lesser TDP, i made that experience). So the new stacked HBM may allow for very beefy GPUs by splitting the memory segment apart from the main die, so in theory even more TDP possible or in other words it may become easyer for Womack doing his below ambient benches. Finally, its not only a matter of raw TDP but how it can be cooled down, a 390X paired with a special cooler and better spreading of heat can indeed make higher TDP possible compared to Maxwell without running into troubles.
Bingo. Why run a 300W 390X when you can run two 160W 980's?
Or, two 140W 970's.

I can say with 99% certainty that either SLI config would outperform one 390X.
Somewhat nonsene because you know as good as i do... SLI or SLI+++ (CF too of course) will add diminishing returns and that means, the efficiency is decreased as more cards you gonna add, so in that term its not 160W+ 160W, even if you enjoy such a way of view.

Last edited:
Somewhat nonsene because you know as good as i do... SLI or SLI+++ (CF too of course) will add diminishing returns and that means, the efficiency is decreased as more cards you gonna add, so in that term its not 160W+ 160W, even if you enjoy such a way of view.

Actually yes, it is just 160W + 160W.
The point is that you'd have a massive advantage on FPS, but roughly the same power draw.

And SLI scaling in most games with the 9xx series is in the 80-90% range.
Scaling/efficiency is VERY good with these.

Well, it does not double the performance, some games may not even get the 80% increase but indeed, the W will simply be doubled. Although in general multi GPU configurations tends to be more stressful on the system so it can be a bit more than twice...

Back