• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 390X reference card will ship with AIO cooler

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm, just what i expected, at the current time any other way would be inferior so i say it could be a pretty good "rumor mill".

I assume that making mid-range 300W card wouldn't be good idea and I don't think AMD would be so stupid to rebrand R9 290/X. Other cards already have 3 years if not more then it's about a time AMD focus on a full new line of products.

Some 380x scores anyone?

http://vr-zone.com/articles/leaked-...es-put-it-ahead-of-nvidias-gtx-980/86452.html

In the Fire Strike Extreme Graphics test, the AMD R9 380X managed a score of 8374, a lot higher than the 5928 scored by the NVIDIA GTX 980 4GB in the same test. AMD’s 295X2 was the top performer in the test, with a score of 9725. However, the R380X score is still pretty impressive when you consider the fact that the R295X2 is a dual-GPU card while the R380X is a single GPU card.

Read more: http://vr-zone.com/articles/leaked-...d-of-nvidias-gtx-980/86452.html#ixzz3Tzce9pFK

This also beats the Titan X... assuming these are legit of course.
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-...erformance-uplift-gtx-980-234way-sli-results/

Apparently (in the comments, grain of salt) those are 390x and not 380x numbers, based on power draw (295W). Even so those are excellent if legitimate.

Even with a 295W power draw, load temps of 76C is excellent (most likely due to the AIO cooler)

vTxOzhg.png

IgAsvzT.png

Last edited:
These results are around the web for about 2 months already so if they're legit then why AMD is waiting with premiere so long ? Also each time when we see any leaks around the web then only 2-3 websites are source of it ... always the same for some reason :)

Hopefully this card will release soon and we can see some end user results

Hate to have to buy a 980 after waiting this long :-/

As AMD said, premiere about Computex time - early June. Probably non-reference cards 2-4 weeks later.

Glad they were posted in the thread, LOL!

I thought all already seen it. Other site posted it couple of days earlier and most rumors around the web are based on these leaks.

Last edited:
The AIO on the 295x2 was received well.
And Everyone cried about the Ref coolers on the 7950/7970 and 2xx series cards so I wonder if AMD just went the AIO water cooler method due to the praise received on the 295x2 and not entirely because they "couldn't" make a air cooler that would have "worked".

I remember when they first released it everyone was saying stuff like , "They should have been doing Ref coolers like this in the first place".

So i wouldn't be surprised if they just ran with it.

Id still rather the coolers were a closed loop you could tear down similar to the AIO's swiftech are producing "220 etc" so if you wanted you can either add more rad coverage or add it to a larger loop later.

That would be a nice added value also you could add longer tubing if you needed to run the rad further or in non standard length places.

I didn't praise that thing. :)

It barely did it's job with the included fan and really needed more rad or push/pull. I can't tell you how warm that air was going through that 120mm rad trying to cool off 500w...

Without a doubt. I have that card under a custom loop (3x120 + 2x120 fat) and the air coming out of those rads are still very warm..

ALso, the 295x2 has a low throttling point, 75C, and in my testing, at stock, I was a couple C away from it IIRC.

Last edited:
That is crazy bro, makes you wonder if a 395x2 is even viable if it will be pumping out 600 watt's :screwy:

They would have to do a couple of things IMO...

1. Cut down each GPU a bit (unlike the 295x2)
2. Bin it even better than the 295x2 for less leakage
3. Put a 2x120mm on there.

It's not abut thickness of rad but about airflow. If it's thick but fins are tight then no way it will work good with average fans and noone wants loud high end card. 2x120mm should be enough to keep it below throttling point but rad will be hot for sure.
On the other hand every potential user needs large case designed for wc as not all cases have good place to put radiator especially that some AIO have limited length tubes. Good case for some users will be additional, unnecessary cost.

All this talk about power draw and all I wanna know is what the damn thing will cost. Not really worried about the extra $50 dollars a year to run it. And 2 980s in SLI at $1000++ Is I guaranty not anymore economical than more power draw, quite the opposite. I may be the only one that thinks this way, but god damn.

Secondly, AMD has already stated (cant find the source through the thousands of rumormill bs on google) that the new flagship will be the 380X to better reflect its intended competition. So, if there is even a 390X (295X2 replacement) it will not be the first card released.

It's not abut thickness of rad but about airflow. If it's thick but fins are tight then no way it will work good with average fans and noone wants loud high end card. 2x120mm should be enough to keep it below throttling point but rad will be hot for sure.
On the other hand every potential user needs large case designed for wc as not all cases have good place to put radiator especially that some AIO have limited length tubes. Good case for some users will be additional, unnecessary cost.

True but i think we can agree that either way they cant just randomly pick a AIO manufacture and say "make it GO!" they need to be a bit more methodical about how they do this.

like if they want to use a 120mm rad they need to make it somewhat thicker , correctly space the fins , use the right fan pressure. and that might mean they need to have a custom rad manufactured to spec not just pull a already used one off some AIO's shelves.

That or switch to a 240mm rad OR better yet add a 240mm Rad but use Clamped 3/4" barb/hoses to connect them. so if someone wants they can just add the card to a existing loop or extend the hoses to fit where ever they need it.

Yea it will add cost to the card but it will make it much more flexible that's for sure.

I've said it before but something similar to the H220-x Swiftech with a pump included in the Rad would be most ideal.

They should Hire Swiftech to do the whole thing (partner with them) , It likely cost the customer about 50$ for the normal reference cooler to be included reguardless so the offset would be likely another 50-70$ if you go by value.

You're right about the 390x and 28nm. It have a tdp of 250w-300w. Definitely efficient considering the core count. Thought it'd be 20nm but I was wrong.

Back