• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 295x2's are super cheap... Wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Culbrelai

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150710&cm_re=295x2-_-14-150-710-_-Product

That is crazy. I have seen benches where the 295x2 beats 980 SLI on 4k (which is where I will be using it)

I have been looking for an upgrade for my 670 SLI, and ive been fairly turned off from nVidia of late. Don't have the money for an $1,100 980 sli setup. Can only afford one 980 and that's more of a side grade.

Have plenty of power (I assume 1200w is enough and it has the proper rail setup and all that noise)

What do you think? Even medium in crysis 3 is unplayable with my 670s. This will surely improve it, no?

Last edited:
LOL.

Your newegg link takes me to the main page....

I run it on a 750W PSU w/overclocked hexcore... but if I was you, I wouldn't. 1KW is fine. That said, I would still rock 980's for half the power use if you can/want to afford them. They are so much easier to cool. I have 5.120 worth of radiator and when gaming that system pumps out some heat! Id do a single 980 now in your case.

Wth...?

Damn mobile.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150710&cm_re=295x2-_-14-150-710-_-Product

I run it on a 750W PSU w/overclocked hexcore... but if I was you, I wouldn't. 1KW is fine. That said, I would still rock 980's for half the power use if you can/want to afford them. They are so much easier to cool. I have 5.120 worth of radiator and when gaming that system pumps out some heat! Id do a single 980 now in your case.

Good to know. What resolution do you game at? Power use is not a particular concern as I don't pay the bill. I don't want to spend $500 just for a sidegrade... :L
Also, are you telling me the thick-arse rad that comes included isn't enough?

Wth...?

Damn mobile.

Good to know. What resolution do you game at? Power use is not a particular concern as I don't pay the bill. I don't want to spend $500 just for a sidegrade... :L
Also, are you telling me the thick-arse rad that comes included isn't enough?
Yep... mobile does that.

I game at 2560x1440.

The rad isn't thick. Its a single 120mm. Read my review of the card and the block on the front page. ;)

Agree with Earthdog, rock a 980 or roll with 2x 970's

Pointless side grade, and 970s on 4k are the prime victim of the 970 3.5 GB RAM fiasco, otherwise that might have some merit.

The rad isn't thick. Its a single 120mm. Read my review of the card and the block on the front page.

I was planning on strapping two high speed Yate Loons for push pull on the rad since the stock fans are apparently garbage, which is fine considering Yate Loons are like $3 lmao, 3+3+680 still does not equal $1,100.

How in the world are you saying SLI 970s or 980s is a sidegrade from your SLI 670s?????

Also, so many people are reporting that they are no issues at all with the 3.5GB deal.
It's just the people that got butthurt and are crying wolf that are the problem, not the GPU.

How in the world are you saying SLI 970s or 980s is a sidegrade from your SLI 670s?????

Also, so many people are reporting that they are no issues at all with the 3.5GB deal.
It's just the people that got butthurt and are crying wolf that are the problem, not the GPU.

At 4k, I wouldn't get a 970 because of tbe vram thing. Less than that, I would.

This. I exlusively game 4k now, and that is RIGHT where the 'invisible' issues become visible.

Sorry I was unclear.

1 980 is a sidegrade to GTX 670 4GB sli.

SLI 980s are $1,100 atm.

I can only afford 1 980, and I'd rather not wait any longer as my upgrade dogs are barking, and the age of the 670s on a display they were not quite intended for is showing. (plus I'd like to see if my random display signal loss on startup goes away with cards that visibly support 4k)

I would like to be ready for DX12, GTA V, etc.

I can, however, afford a little above a 980, rather exactly as much as a 295x2.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,22.html

They trade blows, sometimes a 295x2 wins on 4k, other times the 980 sli wins.

Power not withstanding (as I have a beefy power supply just in case I ever wanted to upgrade... hehe)

What do yall think?

By the time I need another new GPU, I'd likely buy an entirely new computer.

On the other side the r9 390x should see daylight soon I would imagine.

This could be a decent 4k solution as well with an upgrade path to XFire

I'd take the single 980 over SLI 670s any day.
The 670 can't handle enough bandwidth to the vRAM to make them good for 4K like the 980 can.

IIRC the R9 equipment won't support DX12. Look in to that.

IIRC the R9 equipment won't support DX12. Look in to that.

Appears it will, although, when DX 11 came out (skipping the DX10 failure-by-association of Windows Vista) I had no games for it, and was not interested in game with it, until much, much later. I believe my first DX11 game was Alien Vs. Predator lmao.

http://www.techpowerup.com/204463/all-amd-graphics-corenext-gpus-to-support-directx-12-company.html

Also, the 980 is 256 bit with 224gb/s bandwith, while a 295x2 is 512 bit, with 320 gb/s.

It's becoming more and more clear what a fool I was to discard AMD over one garbage, awful, 5770... lol... that happens to still work...

Ref.

http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2523/radeon-r9-295x2.html

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-980/specifications

Culbrelai, the 980 uses new compression technology, it doesn't need as wide of a bus.

Also, the 295X2 has to split it's bandwidth between the two GPUs, so it doesn't actually get as much bandwidth as the 980.

Culbrelai, the 980 uses new compression technology, it doesn't need as wide of a bus.

Another nVidia engima? Let's hope it goes better than their last one lmao

Care to explain? As I'm clearly not seeing any differences in real world gaming benches.

When I read the spec pages it said "512 bits x2, and 320 gb/s x2" meaning I assume its taking into account the dual GPU unique situation

I did read the relevant part, not sure i'm technically hardwarily(?) inclined to understand most of it, however all presented concerns and arguments (or lack thereof) have been noted.

I'm just gonna find it ironic as hell when I end up with the highest end AMD card there is... lmao.

Waiting on my ship to come in and I'm dropping my 970 and going to dual 295x2's.

I have a feeling my HX1050 will be needing to be upgraded at that point.

Not sure Quad-Fire will scale very well ?

Just don't don't get why you would look at old tech like the OP

the 970, 980 and soon 390x , it seems to me they all represent better options

The r9 290, 290x & the 295x2 are all great cards, They simply are what I call last gen solutions

If you are really looking at them though thinking 3x 290x Tri-Fire would be better solution

Back