• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

r9 295x2's are super cheap... Wow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah, spending almost $700 on a nearly year-old video card that draws 500 watts and is soon to be rendered obsolete by the release of a successor series in a matter of days, uhm.. No thanks.

BTW, Vista was a great operating system compared to XP. Don't buy into the groupthink.

Oh, also, AMD cards are capable of audio over DisplayPort right? My onboard sound chip on my SR-2 is dead and It's kind of a deal breaker if they can't...

BTW, Vista was a great operating system compared to XP. Don't buy into the groupthink.

LOL IM DEAD

Yeah, spending almost $700 on a nearly year-old video card that draws 500 watts and is soon to be rendered obsolete by the release of a successor series in a matter of days, uhm.. No thanks.

Hyperbole. My 'obsolete' EoL Xeon X5650s are quite a few years old and are only beaten from what I've seen on HWBot (all cpus on air) by a 5960x in Cinebench R15.

Formerly $1500 card. 40-60 FPS on most every game at 4k.

Certainly wallops my 670 sli.

Trades blows with the $1,100 980 SLI.

Seems perfect to me.

Last edited:
My opinion.
Wait just a bit longer.

Honestly i know people say that all the time but thats what you should do in this case.

If AMD misses the 3xx series deadline then id buy something thats currently around but if they deliver on this next release it may be worth the wait.

I have Crossfired 290x's and they run decently but their can be issues with this series of AMD card as has been said before , Some OC poorly , Some blackscreen for various reasons.

The AIO cooler that comes with the 295x2 is barely adequate also. I would have prefered just a Full cover block option for them with say a swiftech setup similar to the H220, then at least you could have just added it to a running loop and they have better rads too than these AIO's extra tub length and rads could have also been added or changed.. Conclusion on that is , It works but it could have been done much better.

BTW - the 7xxx and 2xx series cards will both support DX12 so im not sure where people are hearing otherwise but it was stated from the start.
Same with the 5xx -9xx series Nvidia cards from what i remember.
So currently DX12 really isn't an issue for most. Likely if their are audio functions in DX12 it will be reduced on some cards but that is all.

I have hope that with the 3xx series AMD cards you are going to see an efficiency boost , Performance gains (obv), But most of all i expect the small power issues and black screen issues to be fixed in its release.

Which is why id wait. Its quite unlikely that its going to be overly expensive either considering the 980's current pricing.

Who knows right now? no one does , So thats why id wait to see what happens with this new AMD gpu , It could be great or a bust , either way id wait to see what happens.

Dual 670s in sli should get you by until that time but its always up to the person spending the $ in the end.

I'd wait and go with the 390X
also

The AIO cooler that comes with the 295x2 is barely adequate also. I would have prefered just a Full cover block option for them with say a swiftech setup similar to the H220, then at least you could have just added it to a running loop and they have better rads too than these AIO's extra tub length and rads could have also been added or changed.. Conclusion on that is , It works but it could have been done much better.

How did they manage to do this?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131584

The MSI Lightning cooler was said to handle 500W... so its possible.

BUt that was essentially the conclusion I had about the cooler in our review.

If any of you are thinking about doing the 295 quad fire you better damn well make sure you have a 1500 W PSU. Dual 295 pull about 1400 W from the wall at full tilt and I wouldn't trust anything other than an ax1500 with that much hardware at risk. Keep in mind that's not counting your processor and other components . My buddy system is set up with a i7 5960 with two 295s in this thing tripped breakers in his house.

If any of you are thinking about doing the 295 quad fire you better damn well make sure you have a 1500 W PSU. Dual 295 pull about 1400 W from the wall at full tilt and I wouldn't trust anything other than an ax1500 with that much hardware at risk. Keep in mind that's not counting your processor and other components . My buddy system is set up with a i7 5960 with two 295s in this thing tripped breakers in his house.

I'd trust a SuperNova G2 over an AX.

Neither are going to make a difference when you are blowing breakers in a typical American household.

That said, both I would trust my system with equally as they are both top notch PSUs.

I remember when I was benching 2xGTX670 and later I moved to single GTX780 then in many test results were about the same. Since GTX970 is faster than GTX780 then I doubt it will be slower than the 2xGTX670 in SLI, not to mention GTX980 ( regardless if there is any memory bug or not ).
If you want to try AMD then wait till new chips will be released in a month or two. If not then GTX980 for high res gaming is the best choice right now.

Well, too late, I am the proud owner of a XFX Core Edition Radeon R9 295X2...

Aaaand having driver issues...

Damn you AMD!

I reinstalled literally 5 times, ran driver sweeper each of those times, removing anything nvidia or amd and still

"AMD Catalyst Control Center Cannot Be Started"

There are currently no settings that can be configured using AMD Catalyst Control Center.

Ugh.

At least the hardware appears to work.

ran driver sweeper from safe mode?

And you are using the latest Omega drivers?

In all honesty, if you are having that many issues to where CCC can't even start properly it may be worth reimaging/reformatting/reinstalling Windows. I know it is less than ideal, but it would make sure there's nothing left behind from nVidia that could cause any random issues.

ran driver sweeper from safe mode?

And you are using the latest Omega drivers?

In all honesty, if you are having that many issues to where CCC can't even start properly it may be worth reimaging/reformatting/reinstalling Windows. I know it is less than ideal, but it would make sure there's nothing left behind from nVidia that could cause any random issues.

Yep to both.

And yeah I might have to reformat but I'd rather not ...

Back