• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

suggest a ups

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

prajwal007

Disabled
Get a used rackmount (server grade) UPS and replace the batteries. Also, you can put only the PC on the UPS (plus network gear if it's critical to have that running) and use surge protectors for the rest.

Why can you only put the PC and network gear on it, if you had enough to power your monitors wouldn't that be a good idea?

When choosing a UPS, the purpose or goal relative to the environment of operation is paramount.

In the US, for example, the primary purpose of a UPS is to run equipment for a few minutes in order to support graceful shutdown, or survive those brownouts and blackouts that last for under 2 minutes.

Elsewhere, however, and in the US under certain parameters, UPS is intended for hours of operation without input power.

To the OP, what is your goal for UPS power within this spectrum. The latter, of course, implies a generator. Between the two extremes is a matter of battery reserve.

Several things come to mind.

First, what monitors draw 230 watts each? CRT?

Second, the printer...why keep a printer up and running for occasional usage? Why not rely on that being protected by spike protection alone?

Third, as power increases, costs of UPS systems increase dramatically. It's often cheaper and more reliable to purchase multiple smaller units. It's very difficult to find 2000 watt units, but 1000 units are widely available. Your power demand easily divides into a pair of 1000 units.

Finally, the choice isn't strictly limited by the plug. It's limited by 240 v compatibility and availability of optional power cords. I say this because I don't find much where the recepticles on the device are type D, but a wide range which are compatible with European 240 v systems. If you opted for European power cords or adaptors on your equipment, mated to the UPS(s), then the UPS would be the only type D plug required. I think this would open your options considerably.

There are UPS systems intended for assembly with a wide range of standard batteries (typically car, tractor or marine batteries). Some of these types are black box devices which have no internal battery compartment. The user is expected to provide batteries of their choosing, which can create a UPS capable of sustaining hours of operation, if that happens to be your goal and need.

In those designs, power is often wired with spade connectors on blocks. That is, you purchase recepticles like those you would to replace one in the house or office to fashion a set of plugs. In a way you're making what you require. It takes a little knowledge, but not much beyond basic wiring and respect for high voltages (large gauge wire, care to avoid exposure, good ground, etc).

Some good points there Jason, got me to rethink my current hook-up route and I have too much on the UPS, not that it's ever tripped without a power outage of surge. Who need two monitors on the UPS when it only takes one (and if your familiar with your software enough not even that) to safely power-down a pc. In the event of a power outage, I won't be using my PC so my speakers can be moved to the surge protector.

Would this 900W UPS be enough to power a monitor my router/modem and PSU (860W) without issue?

Not trying jack the thread, but added discussion I have found lead to more understandable answers from my years of reading these threads.

It seems that Cyberpower would be just enough to give your 3 to 5 minutes while the machine is busy, maybe 7 or 8 otherwise. One thing that strikes me is that it appears to be a single 12v-9Ah battery design (I'm not 100% certain, but that's what the specs seem to indicate). Some of the older designs used two 12v-7Ah batteries, giving a total of 14Ah reserve, operating the inverter from a 24v source. This has two benefits. One, a little more reserve time and, two, when under load the 24v version is more efficient at providing full power, generating less heat and wear in the battery as a result. It isn't by double, though - you're still pulling a lot out of the batteries in a matter of minutes. What matters more is the cost of replacement batteries. One 12v/9Ah may be less than two 12v/7Ah, so the net result is probably a gain.

I have a 1000w with 2 12v/7Ah batteries which have to be replaced about every 4 to 5 years. It kicks in maybe once a month for 10 seconds, but the AVR is busy a lot more often than that. The unit is now about 9 years old. I didn't expect it to last this long, it's one of the "Ultra" brand - not considered stellar. It's certainly been effective, though. I run 3 24" monitors and the PC from UPS power, probably never over 400 watts combined. It's always claimed I'm drawing 25% when on battery but near idle, close to 42% if the machine is at full usage. The batteries are 3 years old, had one outage of 7 minutes a few months ago, but never initiated it's auto-shutdown (probably was really close to it though). At 4 minutes I started closing/saving/syncing my disks. Just as I was about to shut down manually, power returned. Battery was at about 30% by then.

Something else to consider is a script to force the CPU to minimum speed when running on batteries. You still need the same wattage to account for the response time (could be as much as several seconds), but it really does reduce the battery requirements. (Some new servers actually have the option to do that at the BIOS/EC level.)

If you get a 12V UPS, you can later on replace the battery with a deep cycle battery. To do the same with a 24V UPS would require two batteries.
http://dansdata.com/upsupgrade.htm

Back