• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H (rev. 1.x) - Assistance Required

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jjspill16

Hey guys,

First post, and, heres hoping someone knows what I am rambling about! :)

Had a reinstall of windows 8.1 on a formatted drive. I had foolishly clicked the wrong thing installing an audio converter, and, was graced with having "Positive Finds" infesting my machine. So, once windows started up, 2 of my 4 audio/video drives were showing as "unresponsive" in the libraries, and, as such, I couldnt access them on the PS3 downstairs.

Now, I think I have put my specs in my profile, however, this "may" have a bearing, my PC is connected to my TV, HDMI to HDMI, straight off the motherboard, rather than a "normal" PC cable. I have a spare DVI to HDMI, and, a standard one too, I "think" my PC has connection for a PC, its certainly in the menu

For some reason, couldn’t install from USB, and, DVD drive wont read properly, so, eventually, managed to get Win 7 installed from USB and upgraded to 8.1 however, same issue, still other niggles.

After much messing about, I basically used @BioS to upgrade from F8 to F9 (on reflection, and reading some comments elsewhere, this may not have been the best idea!, but, clearly too late now)

Upgraded all drivers and, its all gone horribly wrong! Here are some of the effects, hopefully recognisable to some :)

Start up, the resolution is wrong, seems stretched out the sides of the screen

Start up, press del, into bios, it comes up, resolution is all messed up, and, has an instant message saying refreshing/resizing, and the usual countdown. Press ok, after that, I get “do I want to automatically not try HD resolution for bios?” if I press yes, or no, or do nothing, mouse and bios freeze up, can do nothing, then, have to restart.

Start up, press F12 for boot option menu, just get a black screen, so, cant select where to boot from

So, prior to this, and, as some form of safety net, I installed multiboot on a 5Gb partition on my SSD/Windows drive. But… it doesn’t find my windows install on startup (clearly the boot preferences have changed), but, it does find multiboot. If I press use primary HDD, no boot media. If I choose “install windows”, it… boots into my windows install! Which, is something of a godsend in as much as I still have a "working" pc, even if its behaving very strangely.

Any thoughts, suggestions etc will be more than gratefully received

Cheers
J

jjspill16's PC Specs
Motherboard GA-Z87X-D3H (rev. 1.x)
Motherboard BIOS version F9
Processor Intel Core i5 i5-4690K
Memory Kingson FURY Black 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
Video Card #1 n/a - Use Onboard
Hard Drive #1 Kingston Technology 120GB V300
Hard Drive #2 Samsung 2 TB
Hard Drive #3 Samsung 2 TB
Hard Drive #4 Samsung 2 TB
Hard Drive #5 Samsung 1 TB
Case Grandia GD07B HTPC covered Minitower
Keyboard Crappy One!
Mouse Crappy One!
Power Supply Corsair CX430M
Sound Card n/a - Use Onboard
Monitor Sony 32" LCD Tv
Operating System Windows 8.1

Last edited:
I guess I stumped people! :) Or have done something so ultimately stupid that people cant believe I have managed to even turn a pc on hahaha

I, personally, would clear the CMOS, unhook all your HDD's, and format then install 8.1 on your SSD.

I, personally, would clear the CMOS, unhook all your HDD's, and format then install 8.1 on your SSD.

Thank you, I think thats the way if I can actually get into bios, but, I "think" using a more traditional connection rather than the HDMI one "may" help? Will know more when I get home I reckon

I dont think its finding my USB drives due to the boot peferences resetting, and, because of the video glitch, I cant change it, nor can I bring up the boot selection menu

^^^ This.
You have a bad/incompatable driver installed, that's half your issue. Also, if you were a victim of malware, I wouldn't be so quick to just throw all your other drives right back into the system. You could wind up right back in the same boat. Scan them first.

^^^ This.
You have a bad/incompatable driver installed, that's half your issue. Also, if you were a victim of malware, I wouldn't be so quick to just throw all your other drives right back into the system. You could wind up right back in the same boat. Scan them first.

Cheers chaps
I checked the other drives, I have an Ubuntu live disc for this sort of thing.

Turns out, for whatever reason, I can't access bios when connecting hdmi to hdmi, although that is only since updating the bios to f9, it worked absolutely fine in f8. Weird!

Stuck a standard monitor cable in, straight into bios, sorted that bit, and off I went.

Also turned out the USB port was 3 not 2, and could install fine once I found one of them to use.

Now back to my original unresponsive library issue I had that set this all off haha

So, problem solved! Turns out almost obvious in the end!

When I first installed, was a brand new drive, and, a windows 8.1 DVD, so, it installed UEFI with GPT partitions

When I reinstalled, the Windows USB/Media Creation tool had formatted the USB stick MBR and NTFS, so, it installed as BIOS and MBR

Recreated the USB stick in FAT32, and, deleted the windows partitions, and, it installed/formatted GPT and all works perfectly again

Although I am back to 2 unresponsive libraries haha, but, sharing media library via Kodi instead, but, cant play all files on PS3 now

Back