• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speed and crackling concerns - an HD tune graph

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jo.lang

Hi all,

Two days ago I received an "Grade A1 refurbished HP x360" laptop from ebay. I had immediate concerns on turning it on as the Hard-drive really crackles a lot (I had one of these before which didn't make any noise) and the noise this one makes is akin to the noise my old 10 year old laptop started making before the hard drive completely died.

I ran an HD tune scan on it, and while there are no errors reported on the hard-drive, the read/write graph scan clearly shows a large sector of the laptop in "trouble".

I'd like your opinions on this as to me it looks like an obvious problem, but is this type of graph typical? Considering this laptop cost almost the same as a new one, im thinking I should return it before im stuck with it when the 14 days runs out.

Thanks for any advice.

HDTune_Benchmark_HGST____HTS541075A7E630.png

That's why im posting here - to ask if that big dip in the graph is something I should be worried about? It worries me that a supposedly new machine, has a hard drive with a large section only reading at 25mb/s when the rest of the drive is approx. 100mb/s.

And that is the section which crackles.

Anyone have any opinions?

It just looks like something else was accessing the drive while the scan was running. What do you get if you run the scan again?

Back