• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

worthy replace for my old Sapphire HD6950 2gb Dirt3 Edition

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jcpangs

so here's my current setup

Proc: AMD FX6300 with Deepcool Ice Blade Pro.
Mobo: 990fxa-ud3
Psu: Hec Cougar 700w
Ram: Gskill 4x2gb cl7-8-7-24
v.card: HD 6950

I had my video card for a few years and im proud of it. I just installed the game 'evil within' and I notice that im only getting about 25-30 fps. Im planning on getting the R7 265 but will it be a good upgrade? will I notice any difference? or should I go ahead and go for R9 card? R9's are a bit pricey and I have to wait and save money before getting it. any tips guys?

What's your budget?
The 265 would be an upgrade, but just barely.

What's your upgrade budget?
The 270X would be an upgrade, but not a huge one. Maybe 20%?

The 280x would be a real upgrade. I went from a 6950 unlocked to a 7970Ghz card and performance was at least doubled, at the time.
Will run most games fine at 1080p.
You could wait ofcourse for the new cards, or else save some more money.

for around 180$ and less you can get a 280x which would be a jump from your existing card, like others said it all depends on your budget.

The 280x would be a real upgrade. I went from a 6950 unlocked to a 7970Ghz card and performance was at least doubled, at the time.
Will run most games fine at 1080p.
I did this too, briefly, but got a used 290 soon after in the classifieds since the 280x I had was a good jump but not the crushing upgrade I wanted for 1920x1200. Kept having to turn settings down and I figured I'd be better off aiming a little higher so I can keep it awhile.

For the OP, I'd look at a 280X (if you get used go for a MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte since the warranty transfers), a 290, or maybe like a used 770/780 if you can find one for a good price.

Back