• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power supply do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I have removed the gtx 670 and changed my power supply from hybrid to normal mode. I'm going to try a different power supply. I don't have an 850 watts. I was going to buy it to replace my curren psu. My brother will lend me his corsair tx750 watts to test it, I hope 750 is enough with my rig woithout the gtx 670
That's plenty for a single card...

OK, I'm doing the multi meter thing, so far I got the following readings:

Molex cable black and yellow cables: 11.99v
Molex cable black and red cables: 5.02v

24-pin cable orange and black cables: 3.34v
24-pin cable blue and black cables: between 12.61 and 12.62v it changes from 12.61 to 12.62v

8-pin cable (4+4) 11.99v

Do you need more info? Thanks

Those readings are correct. Your 12v is showing 11.99, the 5v 5.02v. Tolerance, for reference, is 5%.

Do those values change under load? Particularly the 12v rail (black and yellow).

So, the power supply is fine. Maybe is my motherboard that is giving me trouble. Maybe I will have to replace my mobo. How can I do it to pur the 12v rail under load using the multimeter?

Last edited:
I'm sorry to ask so many times but I don't understand. How can I use the multimeter when I have to connect the cables in order to play a game?

You can stick them in the back of the connector, where the wire goes in to make contact for the MM.

Ah ok. Strange because I had another mobo with the same power supply and never had that problem

OK. Under load the 12v marks 12.00 or 12.01v. I tried the 8-pin connector (CPU)

OK, what could it be, then? The motherboard? Electricity in my house? any other peripheral? Should I check another cable of my psu?

Not sure...

Try that other power supply and report back...that will tell us for sure if your current PSU is the culprit.

Back