• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power supply do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll tell my brother if I can borrow his corsair TX 750 watts for further testing. Thank you so much for all your help earthdog

I'm not sure about this, but does Chile have rolling blackouts in the power grid, are you getting a steady flow of power from your electrical socket, might have nothing to do with the PSU, might just be random power spikes or dips from your electric grid. I live in an old house with old wiring and out in the country, we get spikes/surges and outages all the time, mostly in the summer months of Texas when people start getting home from work and turn the A/C on. I mean your PSU might be bad, using your brothers to test and see if that is the issue is a wise course of action.

I use a back-ups. I need a larger one, as I have two monitors my speakers and other peripherals hooked up to it. I try not to tax my system for any amount of time, and it's nice that my router/modem stay powered when the power goes out, I can use my laptop to notify the electric company (like it really helps).

Great point t1n... it may behoove you to get UPS/line condition to smooth things out, if that is in fact the problem.

My uncle who is an electrician changed the whole internal electricity system not long ago in my house, but it may be something to do with it, besides, a couple of months ago, there was a black out in my city and I forgot to unplug the cables from the power socket, perhaps when the light returned it may have caused something to the psu or another part of the computer. My PSU is connected to a extension cord I have used for a year or two, but the strangest thing is that I was using a gigabyte motherboard with the same PSU and never had that problem. Since I ran the tests with the multi meter I haven't had any errors so far. I have been thinking to buy a UPS also. I think I'll do that.

Any recommendations for UPS? I have seen only APC brand in Chile

Last edited:
My uncle who is an electrician changed the whole internal electricity system not long ago in my house, but it may be something to do with it, besides, a couple of months ago, there was a black out in my city and I forgot to unplug the cables from the power socket, perhaps when the light returned it may have caused something to the psu or another part of the computer. My PSU is connected to a extension cord I have used for a year or two, but the strangest thing is that I was using a gigabyte motherboard with the same PSU and never had that problem. Since I ran the tests with the multi meter I haven't had any errors so far. I have been thinking to buy a UPS also. I think I'll do that.

Any recommendations for UPS? I have seen only APC brand in Chile

Dude, this is likely related.

Check GROUND!

Also, check polarity (shouldn't matter much, but..)

Here's what I mean.

First, ground. If the electrical work was done recently, and the ground isn't good...that can cause things to be a little unstable on a precision power supply.

It's not that bad, but....could be the problem.

The other, polarity. You don't often think of AC power having a polarity, but there's a reason plugs have a wide blade and a thin blade.

Long story stopped....just find a way to plug the AC power cord into the wall UPSIDE DOWN.

Just to see if your symptoms change.

Rather than test ground (if you don't have a ground detector),....MAKE one.

Tie a wire to a COLD water pipe.

That's ground.

Tie the other end to a ground on your computer.

Power up...try things.

Ask if you need more, I tend to go on ;)....and right now I'm out the door.

Another possibility is the ext. cord. If it isn't rated for the amperage your pulling through it, it will heat up and cause a dip in power, that might be enough to restart your computer. How long have you had the ext. cord? is anything else plugged in to that same cord? what's the rating of said ext. cord?

Edit: as for the UPS, how much do you want to spend to safeguard your equipment? I went with CyberPower for this recent build, works great so far. APC and Eaton are names I recognize along with CyberPower (not to be confused with CyberPowerPCs). I'd say they all have there merits and flaws, but it's what is available to you and what you can afford.

Last edited:
My speakers, my pc or psu, and my modem are plugged into my extension cord. I'll check if there's information related to amperage

My extension cord has the following information:

Non rewirable portable socket outlet
220VAC~ 50Hz
Total max wattage 2200W (10A)
Built in resettable circuit breaker 10A

Money is not a problem. I don't care if I have to spend a lot of money but a good ups. I want to protect my system of damage.

Last edited:
Back