• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much power supply do I need?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neilpeart

Hello, forum. I have the following rig but I don't know how much power I need. Can you help me? I had a Seasonic 1000w power supply but I'm getting the following error: "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on" :cry::mad:

My rig:

Intel Core i7 4930k
Asus Rampage IV Black Edition
EVGA GTX 780
EVGA GTX 670
32 GB Ram Kingston HyperX 1866 Mhz

1x SSD Samsung Pro 850
2x Seagate Barracuda 500GB
1x Seagate Barracuda 1TB

2x 120mm noctua fans NF-S12 ULN
3x 140mm noctua fans NF-A14 ULN
1x 200mm cooler master fan (default with case)

I hope you can help me.

I bought the power supply 7 months ago. I bought in on Amazon. I'm from Chile, I don't know if the psu still has warranty. Thank you very much guys

That system will EASILY run with a Seasonic 1KW PSU. That is a weird mixed environment with a 780 and 670? Are you folding or something with that setup?

That PSU has a 3-5 year warranty on it so assuming you bought it NEW 7 months ago, then yes.

What is telling you that error? How about testing the rails with a multi-meter?

The Seasonic unit you have is plenty of power for your system, you should get a multi meter and check the rails on it to see if there is a problem with it. If there is a problem, Seasonic has great consumer relations and will most likely happily replace the unit.

Only problem is that I got rid of the box in which the power supply came, so I don't think I would get the warranty, that's why I was asking for another power supply. Thank you guys. I'll try the multi meter option to see if there's anything wrong with the power supply, although I don't know how a multi meter works.

Thanks EarthDog. I wonder if 850 watts will be enough for my system in case my power suppy dies.

It should be...yep!

But again, you never answered why you have those two, mismatched GPUs in your system... You could get away with a 500W PSU if you ditch that 670...

It should be...yep!

But again, you never answered why you have those two, mismatched GPUs in your system... You could get away with a 500W PSU if you ditch that 670...

I have the gtx 670 for physx. I don't know why because I think the 780 should be enough for physx. I play games at 1920x1080

I'm going to remove the 670. Could the motherboard be damaged? or is it the psu?

Who knows... it could be the PSU... it may be an erroneous reading as well. See what the multimeter is giving to the rails first!!

What is telling you that you are getting surges? You haven't answered that either...

My computer reboots itself and when it does I get the following error: "Power supply surges detected during previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit"

So this is your motherboard telling you?

Does it reboot itself while only under load or does it do this at idle? Can you be more descriptive of your issue(s) and when exactly it happens?

It does it both, when load or when idle. I deactivated the surges warning but the computer rebooted anyway. I activated it again. It happens randomly. There are some days I don't get the error, but yesterday was bad, four reboots. I had never had many reboots. Is it safe to use a multi meter?

Yes its safe to use a MM...have some confidence neilpeart!!!!!!!! seriously!

You seem to allude to the fact that you have another 850W PSU laying around. If that is true do this...

1. Try the system without the 670 in it and see if it still reboots...
2. If it still reboots with only the 780, swap to that 850W PSU and see if it still reboots. If it stops with swapping the PSU then its clear its your problem.

I have removed the gtx 670 and changed my power supply from hybrid to normal mode. I'm going to try a different power supply. I don't have an 850 watts. I was going to buy it to replace my curren psu. My brother will lend me his corsair tx750 watts to test it, I hope 750 is enough with my rig woithout the gtx 670

Last edited:
Back