• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4 problems with Ubuntu 14.04 and Boinc

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

I had fired up a p4 (supermicro mobo, amd opteron 6174s) on boinc but the Ubuntu 11.10 I was using would only pick up Boinc v6 and was having problems using more than 32 cores. Many cores were at zero despite having more than enough memory to accommodate 48 cores. I switched to Ubuntu 14.04 and it become incredibly slow. Even my old pentium never performed so poorly. It also tells me I have 18 cpus instead of 4, which is very strange. I could not get boinc running because of the slowness problem. After leaving it running for 3 hours it still had not downloaded more than a few files.

Any ideas out there? For now I am back folding FAH but I would like to get this working for Rosetta.

One thing I have stumbled across says that Rosetta is only 32 bit and doesn't work properly in a 64 bit environment. Another said that Ubuntu 14.04 is very slow when used on old video cards like the supermicro I have. So perhaps I am out of luck. At any rate, any advice would be appreciated.

Maybe Ubuntu 14.10 will work? I have not tried Rosetta yet so don't know, I did run Seti on XP Pro x64 Phenom II 1090T and no problems (but that was in Windows)

Maybe Ubuntu 14.10 will work? I have not tried Rosetta yet so don't know, I did run Seti on XP Pro x64 Phenom II 1090T and no problems (but that was in Windows)

I don't like using dot 10 versions of Ubuntu because the support time is very short. Already 11.10 has lost support and can't be updated or upgraded to the next version - which is very annoying.

I am going to try installing 12.04 and following tear's method for installing a better version of boinc.

I am going to try installing 12.04 and following tear's method for installing a better version of boinc.
Did you do that yet? With Tear's optimized BOINC client, I get all 48 cores running Rosetta on my 4Ps.

Did you do that yet? With Tear's optimized BOINC client, I get all 48 cores running Rosetta on my 4Ps.

No I was too busy and too annoyed to have time to play with it again.

Good to hear its working for you, because my U14.04 experience was my usual Linux experience, lots of promise, lots of good looks but low on actual outcomes. Everyone has 100 different ways to fix problems but only 2 of them work, and even then they only work on version X but not on version X1.

I figured, finally after all this time Ubuntu should have it right by version 14, but no, the same old grub this and sudo that maybe works. Oh and don't forget to install linuxFIXER v 2.56, unless its Tuesday then its linuxUNfix v5.43....argh.

ohhhh...I left out key information. Apologies. Tear's optimized BOINC package is validated for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS. I have not tested with 14.04; but I can attest that it's working beautifully on my 4Ps, all running 12.04 LTS.

Another said that Ubuntu 14.04 is very slow when used on old video cards like the supermicro I have.

After re-reading your 1st post, I see what looks like your using the onboard GPU on the SuperMicro, well I went and got a GT 210 GPU and pluged it in, you might give that a try.

New old guy, don't think this qualifies as a "necro thread" yet.... (hey, least it's the same year. lol)

Was there any resolution to this?

New old guy, don't think this qualifies as a "necro thread" yet.... (hey, least it's the same year. lol)

Was there any resolution to this?

Don't use Ubuntu 14 with super micro 4p boards is the verdict.

Don't use Ubuntu 14 with super micro 4p boards is the verdict.
After trial and error this weekend, that became my opinion as well. 12 still has a couple years of support left. I don't need the grief of reinstalling most of everything for little (if any?) benefit.

The upgrade from 12 to 14 destroyed/removed almost every add-on software I had installed. I reverted back to 12 from an image I had *created. I just am not inclined to go reinstall and configure all the software and also install a discrete video card. If the Ubuntu crunchers were my do-everything machines, I'd probably take the plunge. Considering though, that they only process BOINC projects, I'll just leave them as they are. Sometimes I have to remind myself that 'good enough' truly is good enough.

* EasUS Todo free backup software works quite well in both Windows and Linux. I have become a big fan of this software.

Thanks Gentlemen, this is what I was thinking also.

Tried 14, was having issues, so rolled back to 12. Major Linux noob, but if I can get it crunching... (also waiting to move it off the kitchen table.)

Back