• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gregers05

Alright just did a fresh install of Win7 Pro.

The issue, is now the product key. They key I had written down turned out to be for the Win7 upgrade from when I upgraded from xp to 7. Sooooo, when I install windows it says the product key is not active or something along those lines. So it appears I need a product key for the full version of Win7 Pro. What are my options here? Is my only option to just buy Win7 Pro? If I do that, will it take that key and work for what I have just installed or do I need to install Win7 from the exact disc that I would buy?

Running on the 30 day trial right now. Wanted to figure out what I need to do before I start installing a lot of my programs back incase I need to start over.

also just tried the magical jelly bean key finder and got this error when i typed the key in:

"The product key have entered appears to be the default product key and cannot be used for activation. Type a different Windows 7 Professional product key."

Did you start over with a fresh install? You can Google 'install windows fresh with upgrade disk' and there will be thousands of guides

ill google some stuff I guess. This is the first thing I have done since fresh install, what would I accomplish by starting over if I literally just did it? There wasnt anything during the install process that could be done any different other than entering the key. Wouldnt think it would matter if I enter it during install or enter it after?

I did an upgrade from XP to 7 with an upgrade disk, which requires a clean install. You do the clean install and don't enter the key - just leave it blank. Then you do another install over the first one & enter the key when asked. That one should activate.

I did an upgrade from XP to 7 with an upgrade disk, which requires a clean install. You do the clean install and don't enter the key - just leave it blank. Then you do another install over the first one & enter the key when asked. That one should activate.

ill give that a try. Everything I googled was the same method that involved modifying the registry. Will try that one more time and then try what you just said.

Where in ATL do you live btw? I grew up in Kennesaw and lived there up until 3 yrs ago. Both mine and my wifes family is still there

I'm inside the Fence (I-285) on the NE side. :) I work nearby too so it makes getting to work easy. At some point I'm planning to hang it up & get out of here, plan on living on Lake Hartwell.

Did you have any luck getting the Upgrade installed and Activated?

I'm inside the Fence (I-285) on the NE side. :) I work nearby too so it makes getting to work easy. At some point I'm planning to hang it up & get out of here, plan on living on Lake Hartwell.

Did you have any luck getting the Upgrade installed and Activated?

yeah the one thing I dont miss there is the freaking traffic. I get so frustrated when I go back down there. On the downside, I miss the weather. This snow crap is and sub zero temps (-8 degrees with -30 degree wind chills)

Yes, I actually had an enlightenment this morning on my way to work. I thought that I should probably try the key that came with the upgrade disc I was using. I was originally using the key that the key finder gave me. The key that came with the disc worked! I tried that key earlier, but that was before I did the registry edit in the link Janus posted. Not sure why I never tried it after that...

Thanks for the help guys!

Back