• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake V71 and smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bierce_iv

So i just finished putting my computer together lat night. The issue is between the asus z97 sabertooth mark 2 board and the Thermatake v71 case. I had the front fans and top fans hooked up to molex then to the ChA fan 1 header just like it said. I turned it on and no fans worked but every other component worked perfectly. I then powered it all of and decided to reset the connections. This time the fans turned on,, then with a loud pop and some smoke the capacitor blew on the v71s power board on the top. Why there would be a power surge i have no idea, it was all hooked up to the surge protector and nothing else went on. Needles to say i unhooked the power board completely and plugged the fans directly into the other 4 fan headers bypassing the now broke power board and every single fan worked as it should perfectly. My question is, whats at fault, the fan header 1 or the board on the case? Ive never seen this before. Should i try and get a new board for the case and just keep skipping the fan header 1? or get a new mobo/power board. Newegg offered a full RMA on both the mobo, and case which is a hassle but an option. Thermaltake has been awesome and is sending me new control board which is awesome, and im waiting on the new board to swap to decide if the RMA is even worth it. Basically if it all works correctly i wont even bother swapping just because one fan header is out. MY question is am i wiring it properly?

The build:
-i7 4790k
-asus z97 sabertooth mark 2
-asus gtx 970 4gb
-ripjaw 16gb 1866 ram
-evga 750 gold power supply
-h105 liquid cooling
-v71 thermatake case
-250gb ssd
-1tb hdd
-other bits/

Sounds like the board was bad. You shouldn't be able to hook up anything backward with fans or power connectors.

Thats what im thinking. Still kind of weird that 3 fans with LEDS can be hooked up to the same mobo fan header.

how should I wire it up differently then? Thats how it said go wire it. Should I run the front 2 and top to separate molex cables instead of the one?

A cap popping is almost always because of someone at the factory using the wrong voltage rating of cap and thus the cap wasn't sufficient.
Did someone at Asus put in a 6.3 V-rated cap or less?

Or the cap was inserted backwards at the factory.

Guys, if I'm reading this correctly, the cap on the fan controller's board blew, not the fan header on the motherboard. I would just wait and see if the new one Thermaltake is sending you works as intended.

-Edit-

Didn't realize this thread was from February...

Back