• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weld-On Solvent for Acrylic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mjmm88

Registered
Has Anyone used Acrylic Cement on there loop before. I have an acrylic reservoir that was designed to sit on a pump so there is a 3/8" hole in the bottom that i would like to fill. My plan was to get a flat piece of acrylic, place it over the hole and bond it to the reservoir with the cement. Not sure if it will work so looking for input from people who have used it before.

Thanks

Why not use a plug? You can get acrylic plugs that wouldn't detract much from the aesthetics, and some even have LED holes if you wish to light up your reservoir. Not to mention it's not permanent in case you decide to mount the reservoir on a pump in the future.

If you do want to seal it permanently, I've used Weld-On 3 with acrylic. It essentially melts the acrylic temporarily, fusing the pieces together when it sets. The one I used has a low viscosity but I believe they also make higher viscosity cements if you prefer to use that.

I know a couple of friends that built fish tanks with acrylic and used the solvent cement. It chemically bonds the material, it wont budge. I looked into it for a project I was gonna do. Pretty easy to use from what I recall, just make sure the surfaces are clean, apply chemical bond and let it set. Will melt the acrylic pieces together for that lasting bond. I don't know if it would be good to plug with it.

Why not use a plug? You can get acrylic plugs that wouldn't detract much from the aesthetics, and some even have LED holes if you wish to light up your reservoir. Not to mention it's not permanent in case you decide to mount the reservoir on a pump in the future.

+1 :thup: Just make sure the threads are G 1/4.

Back